Freshwater crabs?

burnt

Medium Fish
Jan 12, 2007
new york
www.diethylamide.org
i have a tank with 2 gouramis in it (one kissing, one honey) which i plan to add a pleco to as well. i was wondering if i could put the freshwater crabs i see at petsmart in the tank with them?

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
here we go

well i did some reserch and u could do
a-get rid of the fish,drain half of the water and provide some land or
b-dont get them or
c-put the crabs in and make sure u got a secure hood
i hope this helps
PS did the tank at petco have 50% water and some land

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
Crabs normalluy need a 1/3rd filled tank so that they can walk up rocks or wood and get out of the water for a period of time.

They might have left the tank full filled up becauase they know the crabs will be sold in a few days. either that or they might not care.

If you want to get them i dont think, they can be easily be kept with fish.

I looked into keeping crabs and i decided it wasnt a good idea, but if you decided you want to get some i would say you would need to start another tank up maybe with no fish to suit the crabs.

guysy

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I'd advise against it. They are not fully freshwater and do need some salt in the water. They also need land as the others have mentioned. Not to mention if you are planning on a pleco, plecos+ salt and/or Plecos+crabs = disaster. They do also need an excape proof hood as not only can they climb up plants, wood, rock, filters, airline hoses, etc..., but they can scurry right up the silicone corners! And you woulden't believe the tiny spaces these guys can get through!

All in all, crabs are awesome to have, I definitly want to have some again, but they really are better off in a tank made specifically for them, be it only them, or them and a few fish that you don't mind them catching (and snacking on) now and then.

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
also, i don't know if anyone else has mention it, but your kissing gourami is going to get huge and pretty aggressive. and if your pleco's a common pleco, he'll get huge also. :eek: