Freshwater Lighting Choices?

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
I couldn't locate a threat talking about lighting, perhaps I just missed it.

The tank: 20g containing neons, white clouds, bleeding hearts, blue diamonds and a ramshorn snail. There are no live plants. This is lighted by a flourescent bulb that was packaged with the hood. The light is active approximately 9 hours a day, 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM, while I am in the office.

:confused: Question is: I have been reading up on bulbs and still cannot define the answer that I need. Freshwater and saltwater bulbs, expensive bulbs and inexpensive bulbs, fish bulbs and plant bulbs. What is the "most appropriate" bulb to suggest for the tank I described? And what is the replacement cycle for the "most appropriate" bulb in months?

I have recently changed the tropical food the fish have been eating from 1 manufacturer to another. This was done to "enhance natural color" and I believe it has worked. Now I am looking for a bulb that will enhance the color as well.
-------
The ramshorn's shell is deteriorating. FORTUNATELY, this forum has assisted me with information about calcium, GH and KH that I hope will lengthen the life of this snail. My coworkers and I have grown quite fond of the snail because of the high amount of activity it has each day. So I would just like to thank those who have posted regarding snail shell health.

Cutlass

Large Fish
May 16, 2003
Galloway, OH
Visit site
If you don’t have any live plants, then the regular bulb that’s in there now is generally fine. There are some “color enhancing” fluorescent bulbs out there, but if there are no plants in the tank, then one bulb isn’t going to benefit the inhabitants more than the other. Color enhancing bulbs are closer to the red spectrum and cast a warmer light. I don’t know of any specific names, but any LFS should have a selection of color temperatures to choose from.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi GIS Guy and welcome to the tank!

Hmm... lighting on freshwater is more a matter of effect, especially if your not dealing with a planted tank. If you want a softer look, use warmer bulbs, for cooler/brighter - use cool bulbs.

I personally have a few home-built light hoods I made using compact flourescent bulbs, mostly so I can increase overall wattage without spending hundreds of dollars on speciality lights and bulbs.

Now, in your case, an unplanted tank... here is what I suggest.

a) Depending on if you have a hood or glass tops, I suggest positioning your lighting as far forward, towards the front of you tank, as possible. Positioning your lighting forward will reduce shadows and make the sides of the fish appear brighter.

b) Usually, increasing your wattage from 1.5 to 3 Wpg (watts per gallon) will generally give you adequate lighting for non-planted tanks. If you add live plants, 5 Wpg is a better number, depending on plant species.

c) You can always buy under-the-cabinet style flourescent lighting at a hardware store and 'add' it to your existing setup. If you use glass-tops instead of those moulded hoods, you can simply drop your 2nd light ontop of the glass tops and 'ta-da' instant upgrade.

I firmly believe that doing it yourself, designing and creating your own solutions is a big part of the fun in fish-keeping.

Have fun!

Intermision

Medium Fish
Oct 21, 2005
I have 3 of those socket type bulbs in my tank for a wapping 69watts and it only cost me about 20bucks, and wireing it up was easy I can even use the original switch.