Freshwater Snails?

Sandwich

Small Fish
Jan 7, 2009
Well now that I'm getting a nice healthy amount of algae growing, I am thinking of getting some cleaning organisms. I wanted to go with a Pleco, but I know they get relatively big, taking up aquarium space. :(

^ That, and Im afraid they might starve, as my tank isnt lined with algae.

So, im considering getting a family of snails instead. What breed/type should I get? Or should I stick with a pleco?
Is there such thing as a "pygmy pleco?

Sorry about all the questions.

PS:I heard snails could spawn like rabbits.Is this true? If so, is there a way I can control their growth without having to kill them? :confused:

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
The are a variety of smaller plaecos if you can find them. One is a bristle nosed pleco or bushy nosed pleco.... that one si pretty popular but there are also rubber lips, clown, and a few others that could do fine in a 29 gallon. I don't really think snails are a good idea for algae control... If you can't get a smaller pleco look for ottos or Otocinclus Catfish, they only get to a bout 2 inches tops and you can get a small army of them.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Snails aren't really effective for algae control unless you have a lot of them. (and I don't know many who want a tank full of snails) Even with several snails, they don't clean up an entire area. They move around eating a little here and a little there. It can be fun to have one in the tank, (as long as it is not A-sexual) If you have a male and female or an A-sexual species, you will have a tank load of snails fairly quickly in most cases.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
They are interesting little critters. Some require a male and female and some are A-sexual. Some have live birth and others lay eggs. The most common ones tend to be pond snails that hitch a ride on your live plants from the store. They are hermaphroditic egg-layers that breed very fast

Violet

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I find an army of oto cats quite effective, and cute. Just remember you need to leave room for them like any other fish. As for snails, I have been lucky, except for once when I was young, I have never been overrun by them. I have various larger snails as well as a bunch of Malaysian Trumpet Snails who live in the gravel and get a lot of the ook out of the gravel. Sometimes it's a little creepy as it makes the gravel look like it's moving on it's own.

Jan 13, 2009
Elberta, Al
I'm sorry, I don't remember where I read it, but from what I understand if you put some live plants in there it will help keep your algae down. They will outcompete the algae for nutrients or some such.

I have several plants in my 37 gal (had a lot more but my cichlid is a pain in the butt) and the only algae I've had is the little bit on the glass but no where near what I would call "problem levels"

I have also read that usually animals like snails and plecostomus (sp) are really not all that great for keeping algae down but still fun to have. I have a black snail and a white snail that I got from Petsmart haven't had them that long but so far no breeding.

Sep 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
My expereince with Oto's is that they aren't too great keeping down the algae. Although I just had 1 in each tank... with lots of plants... and I always have a little algae. I read on here sometime ago, or maybe on plantedtank that Oto's are often picky about algae and only eat certain kinds.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I got at least one pod snail from my plants in my new tank.... I dont mind it because I think they will be killed off by the ammonia from cycling soon.
Not too sure about that last part... I've had pond snails survive in my tanks when I first started the cycle with ammonia up to 8ppm.
I also have quite a few in my 100g, where the ammonia is currently 4ppm.

Otos are better known for eating diatoms, and some soft algae. Plecos apparently do a better job, but are messier and bigger. Snails aren't great at keeping algae at bay either, but my one mystery snail in my 5g has done a rather decent job.