Freshwater tank chemistry HELP!!

Ginger

New Fish
Oct 5, 2009
PA
have an 8 gallon freshwater fish tank (biorb). I have been trying not to use chemicals in the tank to alter the chemistry of my tap water besides treating the water with Stress coat and Stress zyme. I have been using R/O with tap water to lower the GH value of my tank. The pH dropped to 7.2, which was great. My KH dropped to 6 deg - not so great. My tap water is pH 7.6-7.8, GH 22-24, KH 8-10. I wanted to add a little more stability to my tank, therefore I added a small teaspoon of baking soda...today my pH jumped to 8.0, KH to 7, and GH to 13. I am trying to maintain a pH of 7.2-7.6 for my live plants, and a GH 12-16, and KH 8-10. Any suggestions on raising my KH, but keeping my pH and GH on the lower side? I have live plants (Java fern & crypt), guppies, fiddler crab, dwarf frog, betta, and driftwood(to lower pH) in the tank. I am trying to have a happy medium for the crab and the plants. Thank you for all that can help :)

MOA

Medium Fish
Aug 20, 2009
Hi,

First, my advice would be to go with your regular tap water--you might be surprised by what your fish and plants can adapt to. If you are still stuck on altering the chemistry, here is a link that goes over all the basic conventional ways to alter the hardness without affecting other parameters too much:

Water Chemistry

MOA

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
In addition to that great info, you dont really need to stress about your GH. I have had a GH of around 30 in the past and my plants and fish have thrived. i kept goldfish and tropical catfish including raphaels and plecos. Plants and fish appreciate a gool level of GH (around 20) because they really need all those ions and electrolytes to function. try to keep the GH LESS than 28 dGH. any more and repiration problems could theoretically occur, even though my fish and plants are still to this day doing fine.

All fish and plants are in my sig.

a KH of 7-9 is good for the variety of fish you have in your tank.

Like MOA said try to rely on your tap more. fish can and will adapt to it. especially your guppies.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You have perfectly fine tap water, why on earth are you messing around with it so much!? I hope there aren't fish in there! PH swings will kill your fish and plants, you want it to be stable. Using your regular tap water will be much better in the long run. I would be more concerned about your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings, what are those parameters?

Ginger

New Fish
Oct 5, 2009
PA
The rest of my values are wonderful...
Ammo is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 10
I was just trying to lower the GH without dropping the KH too much in order for my plants and fish would benefit accordingly...I have hard water and from what I learned about the plants...they prefer softer water than my tap water.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I have hard water too...trust me the java ferns and all my other plants are doing great. nothing to worry about.

Your fiddler crab might actually not like lower pH