Freshwater to Saltwater

Jan 29, 2003
New York
Visit site
I've been maintaining a freshwater tank for a couple of years now, and I'm considering changing to saltwater. I have a 30-gallon tank with a Fluval 200 canister filter.

My questions are:
What other equipment will I need?
What will the approximate cost of the equipment be?
Can I continue to use my Fluval filter?
What is the purpose/benefit of live rock? Is it difficult to maintain live rock? Is live rock expensive?

Thanks for your help!

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
First of all you really need to consider not doing this if cost is an issue. Although possible just by adding salt to your freshwater. The maintenance involved is kind of like a car. A good car will run trouble free and a cheap car is just a continueous head-ache. In this case trouble equals dead fish. Consider that a sucessfull system will cost around $30 a gallon to set up

Everyone here always wants a 30 gallon tank.. So read back there are many people that have asked the exact questions that you have just asked.

You can use all your existing equipment. including your fluval. But like i said before, choose your head-ach level.

For best results buy a saltwater ready tank with built in overflows and a wet/dry filter, and a protein skimmer.

Live rock is used as the base of a saltwater tank, to accuratly duplicate the ocean enviroment. As river rocks and plastic plants dont come from the ocean. Live rock helps maintain the water quality as it provides excellent biological filtration. It also often comes with "hitch hikers" of different life forms. It costs around $5-$7 a pound.

If you want to do this right, and cheaply than buy a used setup, there are many on ebay for really good deals.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You can use the stuff you have now. Buy a good book on setting up a saltwater tank. Over all I think you will need a protein skimmer and some live rock. Dont start out with corals. Keep easier fish and invertabrates.

The purpose of live rock is to biologically filter the aquarium. It is filled with bacteria to eat the waste your fish will produce. It also looks good and was once part of a reef. I recommend .5-1.25lbs of live rock per gallon. Live rock cost about 5-6 bucks per pound. Or you could buy from a wholesaler for a lot cheaper.

Overall the entire set-up will cost a few hundred dollars.

Sam Reef