friend for beta

May 14, 2004
Visit site
I just got a new blue beta in a one gallon tank, what other fish can i put in there to keep him company, or make it look more like a community, without him killing it

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
A 1 G tank is really too small to put any other fish in there with a betta. Why dont you think about getting an african dwarf frog or an apple snail or a couple of ghost shrimp to put in there with him?

T/A

Large Fish
Aug 7, 2003
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
I'd go with a snail. ADFs need caves(to be happy), and with a Betta the frog will definitly need somewhere to hide. In a 1 gallon tank, I doubt there is enough room for a cave. So stick with a snail, since it aready has it's protection with it's shell.

mudwoman

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
Good for you for being a conscience fish owner! Your betta will be psyched. Maybe you could try a small herd of cories. It will depend how aggresive your betta is. I'd go for a snail or a cool shrimp. Bamboo shrimp are fun.

AquaticGem

Medium Fish
May 20, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
www.bettatudes.com
Having only three cories, who are happy and healthy, it just isn't always the case that they need to be in a larger group. Three is the smallest group cories should be kept in, but three can work just fine without stress, or other issues. :)

With pygmy cories, though because they are so tiny to begin with, I really would not recommend them in a school smaller than four or five.

I wouldn't keep fewer than 5 pygmy cories. They are more insecure than the other sp. due to their small stature. They need company to feel safe. You have room for 5, though, in the 5g tank.

however, they're really picky about water quality...

I would probably do something like...

1 betta
2 African Dwarf frogs (new article here: http://myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17868)
An apple snail
and maybe some ghost shrimp, which should be fine around most frogs.