Frog question

Dec 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
I don't know if this would belong here but couldn't think of a better spot. But anyways this morning I was watching my frogs swim around in my tank (african dwarf frogs) and I noticed all three do the same thing. They stay at the bottom then swim to the top of the water flot their for a second and swim as fast as the can to the grown, then do it over and over again. And I watched them for about 30 mins and all three did it. And I was wondering if thats normal? Like maybe is my tank to small? Are they just swimming up for air? Could it be something worse? Or maybe I just got weird frogs. Btw their is three and their from 1.5-2.5 inch's long and I have them bythemselves in a 10 gallon tank. I did used to have some goldfish in their with them, but the goldfish always kept eating their food. Maybe could it be from me taking the fish out? Doubt it but you never know. Sorrie about the long post and all the questions, hope someone can help me out. Thx in advance :)

Mar 24, 2005
Kentucky
I have two frogs in my 30g and sometimes they can be very hard to find while at other times, they do behavior like yours. Up and down, up and down. It makes them fun to watch. Have had mine for over 7 months now and they're still doing great.

Rebgen

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2005
Central Iowa
quiksilver said:
I don't know if this would belong here but couldn't think of a better spot. But anyways this morning I was watching my frogs swim around in my tank (african dwarf frogs) and I noticed all three do the same thing. They stay at the bottom then swim to the top of the water flot their for a second and swim as fast as the can to the grown, then do it over and over again. And I watched them for about 30 mins and all three did it. And I was wondering if thats normal? Like maybe is my tank to small? Are they just swimming up for air? Could it be something worse? Or maybe I just got weird frogs. Btw their is three and their from 1.5-2.5 inch's long and I have them bythemselves in a 10 gallon tank. I did used to have some goldfish in their with them, but the goldfish always kept eating their food. Maybe could it be from me taking the fish out? Doubt it but you never know. Sorrie about the long post and all the questions, hope someone can help me out. Thx in advance :)
Your ADF's are doing what most every other one does. I have two and they do the exact same thing. Sometimes they like to float into the stream of my biofilter outflow and "surf". I haven't heard of a "normal" ADF ever. I'm convinced the species is goofy. They're lots of fun to watch.

If you really wanna have some fun, chop up some earthworms into small chunks and target feed them with a tweezers. I recently started doing that and they go bonkers!

Rebgen

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2005
Central Iowa
Leopardess,

Thanks for the target feeding tip in your ADF article. I had questions about it a while ago....specifically target feeding. One frog (the larger one) has been better at finding some spare flakes at the bottom, but the other smaller one just never got it and was thinner.

I recently began using your tips regarding target feeding with small pieces of earthworms delivered with a tweezers x 2/week. What a party! They go nuts and are a lot of fun to watch. Yesterday, my eight-year-old son yells out the front door to his friend accross the street to run over because dad is getting ready to feed the fogs, lol. I ended up having four kids crowded around the tank oooohing and aaaaahing...it was a real crowd pleaser, lol. *thumbsup2

I'm sure the frogs are happier although one of them might need Jenny Craig soon if he doesn't cut back on the worms.