Frogspawn is dying, need help!

Apr 11, 2006
Ok, my frog spawn is dying and I need some proper advices to help save it. My frog spawn has two head, one head is drying up and the other head is fine. It's weird why one head is dying and the other is not. Nitrite, and amonia level seem fine. Have not test my ph and nitrate, but my water quality seems fine. I have two filiters, pengiun 150 and pengiun 200. My temperature is not stable, it keep on going up to about 88 degree and dropping back down to 80 during the night due to the hot summer day. The frog spawn is in a 20gals tank.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
What are you feeding it?? How long have you had it?? And I dont know if this has anything to do with the Frogspawn but, I dont like mechanical filtration. My tanks run on a refugium sump. I have found that people who have this type of filtration have less problems with their tanks. Just food for thought.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How long have you had it? If it's new it's sadly not unusual to lose a few heads due to transport damage, and there's not a lot you can do about that. I'd keep an eye out tho' for brown jelly bacterial infections.
Try to steady up the temperature, and keep an eye on nitrate. 88 is not ridiculosly hot for a back reef lagoon, where these come from, and in the wild a big fluctuation is not such a big issue, but in a small tank you have a problem with oxygen depletion when temps start to get high.

These things bye the way do not like having algal overgrowth.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
What kind of water movement do you have? if one head is getting the brunt of flow it may not inflate fully also what is your lighting? These things coupled with the nitrate issue could be your problem

Apr 11, 2006
my lighting system is a compact light 130w and I have 160gph powerhead in the tank, but hardly use it. Yea one of the head die. I just bearly got this piece. Before the head die, it was dissengrading piece by piece and now it is covered with a thick pink or clear fluid. My question is, will the head grow back?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's not likely, though some simlar corals can regrow from very small pieces of remnant flesh in optimal position/conditions.
My fear right now would be for the other head. You need to clean offthat jelly and kak befreo it infects the other head. Do it in a small pot of saltwater with a toothbrush or similar, be very careful and put it back EXACTLY where it came from. If you have a bactericide med you might want to wash the affected head with this, then clean it off with saltwater.
Have you fed the other head yet.

I am afraid aresgod is right - I think you are trying to run a long time before you're good at walking. Some more knowledge on how to set systems up will help you

Apr 11, 2006
I did what you said Wayne, but right now it seems like my second head is dying as well. I had my local lps tests my water condition and they said it is in perfect condition in terms of my amonia, nitrate, nitrite, hardness, ph, and calcium. The only thing that seems to be a little bit off is my temperature. It is not stable due to the hot summer days. I don't know what is killing my frog spawn. When you look at it closely, you could see a line of clear liquid rasing toward the surface. I wonder if this piece of frog spawn came affected with bacteria or what.

Apr 11, 2006
saltwater84 said:
I did what you said Wayne, but right now it seems like my second head is dying as well. I had my local lps tests my water condition and they said it is in perfect condition in terms of my amonia, nitrate, nitrite, hardness, ph, and calcium. The only thing that seems to be a little bit off is my temperature. It is not stable due to the hot summer days. I don't know what is killing my frog spawn. When you look at it closely, you could see a line of clear liquid rasing toward the surface. I wonder if this piece of frog spawn came affected with bacteria or what.
Or is it my fault that my frog spawn is dying????

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
my frog melt down last year...only 2 tentacles remained..but they were tiny and i tought i was over because except those, i could only see the skeleton.
I decided to give a try. The head did grow back..well 2 head grew. Now it has 5. So maybe...

Apr 11, 2006
do you guys think it is my lighting system that is killing my frog spawn. I thinking it might be the place where I place the frog spawn but I move it toward the top of the tank. It still the same, tenacles all deflated. 130w in a 20gal tank? I did not find much info on the lighting that need on the internet.

Apr 11, 2006
saltwater84 said:
do you guys think it is my lighting system that is killing my frog spawn. I thinking it might be the place where I place the frog spawn but I move it toward the top of the tank. It still the same, tenacles all deflated. 130w in a 20gal tank? I did not find much info on the lighting that need on the internet.
Really want to save my frog spawn, I starting to lose hope.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My bet is on a bacterial infection. An iodine dip MIGHT do it, might not. This might not be easy to fix at this stage. I would be tempted to move it to the bottom of the tank and leave it there where it's not being battered by too much light, and see if it recovers enoguh - does it even try to feed.

I am surprised you cannot find much information on the net, I think there is lots. Are you familiar with using search engines - I would try googling Euphyllia, and lighting. As a starting point I would go to wetwebmedia.com, go to marine, corals and go thro' the diesease FAQ's on euphyllia. If you are a member of reefcentral going to that site and looking for 'euphyllia meltdown with a search might give good results

I am sorely tempted to right an FAQ on how to use search engines - you will also need to do some research if you decide to do an iodine dip.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caryophyllids.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/carydisfaqs.htm - the first q sounds right up your street...

I am afraid a better a better use of search engines would enable hobbyists on this site to avoid the purchasing mistakes already made by hundreds, thousands of other enthusiasts . This case is not in that street, but there really is plenty of info out there.

Apr 11, 2006
Thank you for your help and adivces Wayne. I did the idoine dip and I hope this will work because it seems like I have no other options. About two days ago, it opened fully and beatifully, until it somehow fell down into the sand and I put it back where it belong. I did not touch any live parts.