Frustration with ph

May 11, 2012
I live rural area, have extremely high pH, like 8.4+ out of the tap. I have tried peat filtering and driftwood but then I end up with algae growth like crazy. I have kept fish off and on for about 30 years and never had so many problems since moving down here to Southern Maryland. The only fish that has survived since we set up a 50 gallon freshwater tank down here is a spotted raphael catfish. I know pH is usually not a big issue but mine seems so high I am unsure how to address it. I want to have a beta, tetras, a pleco and gouramis again. Can they really tolerate such a high pH?

Feb 27, 2009
I would advise against using chemicals to 'chase' your pH. It is a temporary fix and swings in pH are far deadlier than a pH outside of 'normal' for a fish. A slow drip acclimation works wonders.

Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate too?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
My pH is probably as high as yours - It doesn't match the highest color on the chart. I have had no problems with my fish and I certainly wouldn't start chasing your pH by adding any chemicals. Was your tank cycled when you lost the fish?

May 11, 2012
I would advise against using chemicals to 'chase' your pH. It is a temporary fix and swings in pH are far deadlier than a pH outside of 'normal' for a fish. A slow drip acclimation works wonders.

Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate too?
Yes I have got all that under control, all readings are low to none. The nitrates are trace, no ammonia or nitrites. I have added Eco Complete substrate and have some plants but my pH is unbelievably high and I get the crust on my tank all the time so I know in general I am pretty hard and 8.4+ out of the tap for alkalinity readings. I am not into cichlids, which I know like the high pH, as posted above I like my community fish but don't think they can handle that high of a pH, and am amazed that the catfish can deal with it. I can't seem to keep anything but him alive no matter how slow I go at acclimating my pet store purchases. It is frustrating considering how long I kept fish before moving down here and on to this well water that seems so horrible. I just feel like I am losing this battle of trying to keep fish while I live in this place.

May 11, 2012
My pH is probably as high as yours - It doesn't match the highest color on the chart. I have had no problems with my fish and I certainly wouldn't start chasing your pH by adding any chemicals. Was your tank cycled when you lost the fish?
Yes I know how to cycle my tank, was having a nitrate problem for awhile, when we get into even minor drought situations my well water actually picks up trace nitrates because I live in rural farm areas so the nitrates concentrate, then if we get a lot of rain I get a slightly higher base of nitrates out of the tap. I have that all under control, it is the GH and pH that I can't get controlled.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I live in the country and we have a well also and my equipment is now crusted in white which I assume is alkaline. I have all community fish in 5 different tanks. I also have a couple of angels, but no other cichlids. How long has your tank been set up? You really should have more nitrate if its cycled - up around 20ppm is considered ok. OC is one of our experts on this. Does anyone else in your neighbor hood on well water keep fish?

May 11, 2012
I live in the country and we have a well also and my equipment is now crusted in white which I assume is alkaline. I have all community fish in 5 different tanks. I also have a couple of angels, but no other cichlids. How long has your tank been set up? You really should have more nitrate if its cycled - up around 20ppm is considered ok. OC is one of our experts on this. Does anyone else in your neighbor hood on well water keep fish?
Actually the tank has been set up for about 6 years, and I have cycled it and tried keeping fish and they just don't last, and it isn't disease, no ick, no other fungi that I see on them, can't even keep snails alive. Only fish that has lasted through it all is this spotted rapheal catfish. The only thing I can think of is the GH and pH being too high. I am hesitant now that I have my nitrates under control to put any fish in there with these other parameters. I talked to my LFS woman and she said I live in the worse part of the county for water conditions. She has also said that the pH isn't as much the problem as my probable GH. I had hoped by adding the Eco Complete and planting would help but it doesn't seem to be. That is why I am thinking of a larger piece or another piece of driftwood or going back to peat filtering but I don't want to end up with the algae issues. Just frustrated is all.

May 11, 2012
I appreciate all the suggestions, I know with the nitrates so low people must think I haven't cycled the tank but trust me it is cycled. Biggest issue I was having was the nitrates for the longest time and with being in farm country and well water I was getting trace nitrates, still do, in my well water so doing water changes helped but not as much as you would think. My nitrates were hanging at the red line for the longest time. I have that under control now and with only 1 fish in a 50 gallon tank, that now has a good substrate and plants, I would be amazed if the nitrates are anything above trace to 5ppm. It is my GH and pH that concern me now, and of the 2 my GH is I think more my issue but can only sort of assess it by doing pH tests. I have never seen a GH test kit in stores anywhere, and I guess I am trying to address them because I would like to breed any fish I get again. I used to breed fish when I lived in Western Mass and sell to a LFS there before it went out of business. Hence why I am concerned about the GH and pH, since I know my LFS would take any fish I manage to breed. I realize I sound like a beginner all over again, but I just can't seem to get this all under control at the same time and it is frustrating when I had no issues in Massachusetts, heck barely did water changes there because it was a very well balanced tank and stable with plantings etc.