frustration !!!!!!!!!!

Aug 26, 2009
ok first off im new to the forumn and new to salt water tanks. I have a 125G
wen.t threw cycling the tank with alot of help from reading this forumn. I had 0 amonia 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate. good i thought. I then had a huge alge bloom which i figured was normal. i now have amonia 8.0 nitrites are high and nitrates are high. i had added 2 lawnmower blennies a damsel 2 pencil urchants and a few blue legged hermits. all over a 2 week period. I vacum the sand 1 time a week i did a 20% water change. what am i doing wrong.

the tank took about a month and a couple weeks to cycle. and even then i did not run out and put all those fish in there. I still am having the red slime algea problem as well.

also what is the best method for adding salt with fish in the tank. i noticed my salt was low from the water changes it is at 18

any help would be greatly appreciated

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Don't get frustrated, the pros in here will help you, they know what they are doing. The salt is about the only thing I can help you with, I add alittle extra salt to my water change container if I feel I need it. I have never added salt straight into my sump as I do weekly water changes and keep a close eye on it, but I guess you could.

Aug 26, 2009
well i dont have a sump i built my tank into the wall with a closet off to the right and it has hot and cold water and a drain right there beside it so water changes are easy.

i had been mixing salt in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water so it disolves real good then waiting for it to get to room temp then adding it to the tank but no matter how much i add it never changes.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Let me ask you something, what kind of water are you using in your tank? If you are using tap water, that is most likely your problem or at least part of it.

Last edited:

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Like I said the pros in here will give you some sound advice, as soon as they get out of bed, lol. I am just an early riser. But, your water will be part of your problem, you don't want to be using hot water out of your hot water tank to desolve your salt, and using well water is most likely going to be a no no. If you have a local fish store in your area, they most likely sell ro/di water ( the store in my area sells it for 25 cents a gallon) and this is what you need to be using.

Aug 26, 2009
i dont have a hot water tank i have hot water on demand..so does this mean i have to do a water change and use this other water and how much do i need to remove.
thanks for all the help

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
okay I need to get a few things straight from your post.

1. tank was cycled was this cycled using uncured live rock? or something else? what did you use for your ammonia source during your cycle?

2. how much live rock do you have in your tank and was it cured or uncured?

3. you say your salt was at 18? 1.018? really low. When you added your water did you mix the salt prior to adding to the tank? or did you add the water, add the salt and mix in the tank as this was the initial set up (the only time you want to add salt directly to a tank). You say the sg was dropping due to water changes? are you removing water and adding plain fresh water? you need to mix your change water in a large trash can or other container that will hold the amount you are changing....add the salt and mix and areate (power head) this for about 24 hours bring the temps to the same temp measure ph and alk and make sure they are the same then proceed to change the water. Make sure that the water you are replacing has the same basic parameters as that which you are removing....ie. temp, sg, alk, ph etc. the good parameters not the bad.

3. You are using tap water from a well? Have you had this tested to ensure you have no contaminents such as copper, phosphates, disolved solids etc? I too am on a well and wouldn't think of using this water directly inmy tank. I recommend that you use a r/o di filter to remove all impurities from the water prior to using in your tank as this is usually the main source of unwanted nutrients leading to horrible algae outbreaks.

4. how are your fish doing? there should be no measureable ammonia or nitrites in the water, this will if not kill your fish it will stress them almost beyond hope. If you have high ammonia you must get this down asap.

Overall I think you will be okay, you will need to get rid of the ammonia, get a good water supply, and mix your change water before adding it to your tank....I honestly think that your tank didn't have a real cycle and adding the fish caused the cycle to restart. I would seriously think of removing the fish at least until your parameters come into line. and then add them very slowly allowing the tank to adjust to the additional bioload gradually. I hope this makes sense?