Fungus?!

Jul 13, 2005
I just noticed today after I brought home a gourami (Mars) and a mystery snail, that my male betta, Joque, has little, itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny white puffy things all over it. I think it is Velvet, but I am not sure. I have changed some of the water and given him a little StressCoat, and other than that, I dont know what to do. Are there home remedies? *SICK*

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Are they white fluffy things? If so, it's not velvet, but a fungal/bacterial infection.

The first thing you should do is check water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature and pH) to make sure everything is OK. Next, do a large water change. You should read up on diseases, and see if you can ID it from here: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html then get the necessary medication.

Jul 13, 2005
poor Joque

I researched it and I think it is ich. I was under the impression that it was velvet because Wasabi, a female betta I bought and put in my five gallon with Joque (there was a divider) died with soft pieces of material coming off of her. It was my second fish in my care, so it did not occur to me to keep her separate for awhile to see if she has a desease. I have moved Joque into another bowl, a smaller one that I am keeping dark and warm, and gave him a complete water change. I also bought ich and velvet meds just in case.

Last edited: