Furzacyn alternative?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
So my big office 120 gal tank seems to be suffering from some sort of internal bacteria/viral infection. The fish are swimming up near the surface, as if gasping for air. I tested the water parameters and called the fish consultant that maintains the tank for our company.

He suspects it might be some virus or bacteria that hitchhiked on the latest batch of new fish added to the tank. He suggested I dose with a general medicine called FURACYN made by Aquatronics. Or anything that contains both sulfa and nitrofurzone.

The problem is..Aquatronics no longer makes that stuff.
Does anyone know of anything similar that a LFS would carry? something that wouldnt hurt the biological filter?

thanks!

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Nitrofurazone is sold as Furacyn T, and sulfa is in TriSulfa. Both are in Jungle anti-bacterial medicated fish food.

Your ammonia was zero, so was your nitrite, and your nitrates were low (below twenty)? Have you looked at the fish closely? How do their gills look? Are parasites, such as gill flukes a possibility? I assume the consultant has already asked these questions.

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Thank you very much bunny!
I'll see if I have some Jungle anti-bacterial food lying around...

Yes, the water aparameters I tested were fine. and I checked very closely for parasites and sores and red gills, etc but didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Thats what led the consultant guy to assume its something internal. prob bacterial or viral.

I couldnt find anything related to Furazone at the lfs..I'll have to order online with overnight delivery. I did pick up some of Maraden's Trisulfa and dropped them in. Does anyone know if Trisulfa will damage your biological filter?