Fuzzy Scales

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
I was taking some time out today to watch my guppy swim around and i noticed that near the base of his tail his scales appear almost fuzzy or maybe even ulcerated...yikes! I was just wondering if anyone knows what this might be and what i need to do to treat it. I don't think its a fungal infection, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: He has also started resting in the back corner of the tank, but he will follow my finger around the tank and appears energetic when he moves....

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Have you checked your water lately? If I remember right, you had high ammonia levels the other day. This will cause all kinds of diseases to surface as it weakens the fish's immune system.

Do a water change, and see if you can get a medication called Melafix to add to the tank.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Lotus said:
Have you checked your water lately? If I remember right, you had high ammonia levels the other day. This will cause all kinds of diseases to surface as it weakens the fish's immune system.

Do a water change, and see if you can get a medication called Melafix to add to the tank.

Ya, my water was a little off on the nitrates side the other day but i am getting it back under control. I've been doing 50% water changes (recommended by the people that run the local pet store I go to), which have seriously helped with getting my parameters back under control. i just did a 50% change yesterday...Should i go ahead and do another one? Ill try to get some of the Melafix. Thanks

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Well, what ever it was, it worked really quickly...Tootsie is gone. I think it was a fungus after all. *sigh* I'll get this figured out soon, I hope. I'm going to treat my water, try to kill whatever it is thats in there, and maybe get a new fish or two in the kind of near future...sad times. And my water is doing so great now....So, I will let you all know if get my tank living again. Thanks for all your help and advice. Until later, good luck with all your amazing tanks and fish :)

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Thanks. Do you know if the fungus will stay in the water? Are there drops of some sort I can get at the store to treat it? Sorry about your betta :( Blasted fungus!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There are all kinds of things floating in the water and on the fish almost all the time. It is when you have poor water conditions that the diseases take hold.

Think of it like when you're run down, then get a cold or a virus.

Good water conditions will give you healthy fish.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I've had this sort of thing happen before. Looked at a guppy to find a fuzzy parasite on it's side. The first thing to do when this happens is to get the fish with the parasite out of your tank. That way if your fish dies, the parasite won't detatch and find a new host. Sorry to hear about your loss.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
nobody said:
I've had this sort of thing happen before. Looked at a guppy to find a fuzzy parasite on it's side. The first thing to do when this happens is to get the fish with the parasite out of your tank. That way if your fish dies, the parasite won't detatch and find a new host. Sorry to hear about your loss.
He had been in the tank for probably about 2hours before i took him out (he died while i was in class)....should i treat me water with something before i get new fish..?

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
pigs_fly said:
He had been in the tank for probably about 2hours before i took him out (he died while i was in class)....should i treat me water with something before i get new fish..?
Clean it. That's for sure. I'm not sure what you would use to treat for parasites, but maybe someone else here does. My advice is, clean the tank and do a water change. Good luck.