game fish

Sep 11, 2006
Northeast Ohio
i've recently seen gamefish like largemouth bass crappie,and muskie. In pet shops now from what i've heard it is illegal to own gamefish atleast in ohio. Am i wrong do these people have a licenses to sell such fish?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Wow, that's pretty strange to actually see those fish in a pet shop. Most people tend to catch the fish themselves. I'm not aware of any laws, especially in states other than TX or OK. Typically, Federal laws will prohibit the owning of fish (such as the pirahna). I'd imagine a quick phone call to your local game warden would get you a definitive answer, and I'd be really interested in what they have to say. So if you call, please report back!

I've heard that bass & crappie are pretty aggressive fish, and need huge aquariums in excess of 200g. I know for fact they are quite tasty. :)

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
i can't see the point in buying native fish, go out, have fun, and collect them yourself! :)

check your local DEP's anglar's guide to see what is legal in your state.

LMB, when they are juveniles, are fine. i kept one in my tank for over a year, and it was very peaceful, until the day it realized it could start taking down its fellow tankmates. i dont recommend keeping LMB only because they do grow rather fast. other "basses" like sunfish are great in tanks.. some species, however, are more territorial and agressive than others.

there are lots of great native fish that do very well in captivity.