GASP! What's wrong with Claude!?

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Claude is my (new!) male CT betta. I was looking at him today, and his belly is outrageous. He looks like an extremely pregnant, just about to drop babies, female guppy. Its huge, all distended looking. He's acting normal, eating and swimming around, and otherwise looks in good shape. What's going on?!

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Hmm, okay, I'll try giving him a shelled pea. Does it need to be bite size, or will he pick at it? Hopefully that will clear it up, he still seems very healthy otherwise. How can I avoid overfeeding him in the future though...he lives with other fish, so I have to feed enough for all of them.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
SinisterKisses said:
How can I avoid overfeeding him in the future though...he lives with other fish, so I have to feed enough for all of them.

Well if you've got a small Q-tank I'd move him there till his blockage clears up, Otherwise theres not much you can do about the feeding. I've had a similar situation with one of my old Bettas, I fed him shelled peas, and he cleared right out (He was in a community situation also). The problem never redeveloped, despite the usual tank feedings.

Sep 6, 2006
NS, Canada
I'd suggest the shelled pea as well, sometimes it works. My betta just tore the crap out of em, he loves it!

If you can put him in a bare-bottomed tank that would be great, so you can see if he's pooped at all.

You don't have any other bettas, do you? On another betta forum we have discovered the "shock and poo" method (LOL) of putting a few bettas around the one that is constipated and they poop like crazy XD I tried it once and it worked, but if you don't have another betta it's not really an option.

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
LOL what!

I actually have another male CT and a female betta. Lol so I should put Claude near one, or what?

I'm wondering if the problem might have occured because of the situation. As I said, Claude is new. I think I bought him just about a week ago now. Could it have been caused because he wasn't used to such an ample suppy of food maybe, and he'll adjust to it over time?

I don't have a spare tank at the moment, but I do have a 5 gal that my female lives in. Should I put her in the community tank for a couple days, and put Claude in there, until he's better?

Oh, I got some pics:

(Look how PRETTY he is!! :D)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Brinny-chan said:
"shock and poo" method (LOL) of putting a few bettas around the one that is constipated and they poop like crazy
In other words, scare the sh_it out of him!
Huh...sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :p

Aside from trying the pea thing, I'd definitely cut feedings back.
I'd try the pea thing and then wait a few days before resuming the feeding of his 'regular' food to see whether or not he's pooping.

Sorry...guess I'm not really adding anything to what has already been suggested. :eek:
But, I will say that Jean-Claude-Van Damme is very pretty! :D

BV

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Ha, thanks BV ;) I gave him some pea, which he gobbled up like a little piggie, so I'll just cut his feedings for a few days. Thanks for all the help everyone, hopefully it will clear up :)

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
my sister watched my bettas this weekend and I came home to a very messy tank and two very fat bettas.
Well part my fault, I forgot to tell her how much to feed and so that was the result.

so with bloated bellies and a clean tank, the will not be eatting for a few days.

SinisterKisses

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2007
Well, Claude's all fixed up. I gave him some shelled pea, which he gobbled like a piglet, and then didn't feed him after that. The next day he looked much better, and today he's completely back to normal. Hopefully it doesn't happen again too soon :) Thanks for the help everyone.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
SinisterKisses said:
Well, Claude's all fixed up. I gave him some shelled pea, which he gobbled like a piglet, and then didn't feed him after that. The next day he looked much better, and today he's completely back to normal. Hopefully it doesn't happen again too soon :) Thanks for the help everyone.
Thats awesome Sinister!!!

I hope Claude stays healthy for ya now!!!!

BTW he's a beautiful lil' fishy *thumbsups