Gathering in the corner

Makoch

New Fish
May 16, 2011
l bought two used tanks, fish and all, a 30 & 60 gal freshwater tanks. The red Wagtail Platts in my 60 gal tank are 'fighting' to get in the lower part of 2 corners. The have been acting like this going on three days. Temp is 74°f, all levels are in the healthy range. 20% or so water change Saturday. In process of changing filter as we speak. Is this behavior indicative of a problem?
PS. Weather has been fluctuating between cold & warm (spring time in the Rickie ).

Makoch

New Fish
May 16, 2011
l bought two used tanks, fish and all, a 30 & 60 gal freshwater tanks. The red Wagtail Platts in my 60 gal tank are 'fighting' to get in the lower part of 2 corners. The have been acting like this going on three days. Temp is 74°f, all levels are in the healthy range. 20% or so water change Saturday. In process of changing filter as we speak. Is this behavior indicative of a problem?
PS. Weather has been fluctuating between cold & warm (spring time in the Rockies)

Makoch

New Fish
May 16, 2011
Yes. I purchased a new heater for the 30 gal (could not determine setting). The 60 gal has an existing heater. Last night & removed this am, I added the old heater from the 30. The temp did rise a few degrees. The heater is set at 78, I took out the temp heater since i could not determine the settings & was concerned about over heating. Temp is now 70/72°.

Feb 27, 2009
Temp is 74°f, all levels are in the healthy range. 20% or so water change Saturday. In process of changing filter as we speak.
Can you clarify what is meant by 'all levels are in the healthy range'? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If you are changing the filter, be sure to keep the old filter media, as that will have a lot of the beneficial bacteria your aquarium needs. Just replacing it will likely delay or destroy your nitrogen cycle.

Makoch

New Fish
May 16, 2011
Aha! Not sure which filter media you reference. I replaced the filter & the unit with out charcoal I rinsed. I bet I rinsed too much of the ' healthy' bacteria off. This morning I noticed ICK!!!!!! (fish have a few small white dots). I added treatment & am following instructions. I will cut back on the food also. The levels for Nitrates & Nitrites... should be Zero as opposed to a minimal amount?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Nitrites should read zero - nitrates are the natural result of a working cycle. You should usually have some nitrates showing. Water changes are what keeps the nitrate levels to non-toxic levels. If nitrates are above around 20, I do a water change . . . .