Gel-Tek Tetracycline

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Hello friends! Ok, I don't know if anyone saw my thread a while ago on my betta having a tumor or something...but, I was preparing to do a "micro-surgery" on my little buddy, when I came across an antibiotic which treats a bacterial infection described almost identically to what my boy is exhibiting, so I thought maybe I would try using that first - a little less invasive approach.

The antibiotic is Gel-Tek's Tetracycline. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this antibiotic. Thanks in advance!

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
micro surgery? wtf is that? sounds way worse than just medicating...but i got that gel-tek stuff before and my fish wouldnt even eat it and i dont blame him cuz it doesnt even look like food. if youre going to use tetracycline get the powdered or tablet stuff

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Thanks for the suggestions TexAg.

I was just going to attempt to lance the cyst-like area and treat him with antibiotics and then I came across the tetracycline...

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
eek i wouldnt stab my fish...but try some of that powder/pill stuff. if its a pill just crush it up.

if you havent been to this site yet, you should check it out. pretty good for betta health.
betta diseases

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
ah yes, i've frequented that site in the past. the lancing proceedure is pretty simple and basic though....that has been placed on the last resort list though, b/c it is kind of expensive to do, what with anesthetics, insane antibiotics, etc...let's see how the tetracycline works out for my little buddy :)

where are you at in tx? im assuming a&m...class of 08...? im class of 09 in good old aggieland :D