I was just wondering...is there any way to tell the gender of the following fish?:

Molly (Black and Silver Lyre Tail)
Angel
Rosy Barb

Also...is there a good profile site that includes gender identification? I've seen a LOT of profiles on MFT, but unfortunately it doesn't include gender ID. :confused:

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
google also seems helpful... type in something like marble angel gender description or something. (i suppose i could have done it for you and given you the url, but im too lazy)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Angels are pretty much impossible to sex. Especially when they're small. Even "experts" sometimes get it wrong. I think you're supposed to hold them up to a light and look for a silohette (sp?) of something in their genital region, but I can't remember what and the difference is very slight between the genders. You CAN tell once you've got 2 that pair up, if you watch them spawn, but other than that it's really hard. But, since all angels act the same, it doesn't really matter if you only have one.

I wasn't interested in breeding angels (though if it just happened I'd be fine with that). I was more curious, than anything. I do have a couple mollies that I'm trying to figure out if they're opposite gender or not...as we've had fry recently. (Only a couple days after acquiring the mollies)

I now know that I have two male, and two female rosey barbs. However, being that they're egglayers, I can pretty much bet that no offspring will survive in the community tank.

Would that be a correct assumption?