Geodes

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
Well last weekend i went to Keokuk IA and Hannibal MO to the geode fest. had a good time and got a few geodes. Today i finally got around to cleaning them all with acid. used a 50/50 mix of hydrochloric acid and water. thinking about putting some in my tanks as some interesting sparkling caves. total.jpg OPEN.jpg

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I use to have a pretty good sized on - like about half of a good sized grapefruit, but it was really hard to keep clean. As I remember it sparkled better when it was dry and in the sun. Haven't thought about it for years and now I am curious where it went.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
a couple amethyst geodes were found down there newman. thats the only natural purple i've seen. others can be dyed. and thyra i wish i was the one who found the largest that weekend. it was just over 600 pounds. 3 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet. the midwest used to be an inland sea which is y there are huge salt deposits up by the great lakes and most of the bedrock is limestone. but in that area of the midwest there was a large coral reef which we found alot of coral and shells and other critters in the rock down there. but because of the voids the coral made when they got covered and shale formed all around the coral it left voids in the stone. those voids through years of ground water grew the crystals inside of them. thats how they were formed. I know alot of u have seen videos of the great barrier reef and have seen some of the caves caused by coral growth. imagine the size of some of the geodes that could potentially be in that area of the midwest knowing they could have left voids that size in the rock.

I'm planning on making 2 trips down there next year. this geode fest only lasts about 8 hours a day fri/sun. so a friend and her dad and i are thinking about going down on a friday and stay through till sunday spending ALL day in the river. try to find the rare ones and be super picky about which ones we take out of there to split. you can tell by the weight and sometimes hear the water sloshing around in them, known as shakers. make sure we get the light ones and the shakers. this was my first year geode hunting so i had no idea what i was really looking for, but now i know lol. and also it is illegal to break them open on the river. so we don't want to drive back 120 miles with a couple truck loads of solid crystals. the solid quartz balls are kinda cool but the geodes are prettier :p