German Blue Rams

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
While looking up random information on fish at various websites I came across a gorgeous fish that I would love to have and its the German Blue Ram. From what I've read I know that they are a peaceful omnivore and do well in couples. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience or expertise to offer regarding these fish. Would they live well as a pair in a 20g? Thanks all!

catfishbum

Large Fish
Jan 29, 2006
bradford,NH
i bought a pair of rams a few weeks ago and ever since ive loved them. they are very playfull and everyone compliments them on how they look. they need clean stable tanks though. and do better in tanks with little current and high temps. my tank is set at 80 F

Smalltank3

Large Fish
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
I have one in my 10g and hes doing great. I must warn you that they can be very aggressive when breeding. Just keep a look out of the tank to make sure they aren't bullying any fish. Other then that they are peaceful and make a great addition to a community tank. Yes, they would be fine as a pair in a 20g. Good Luck!

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
Thanks alot for the info! I look forward to bringing 2 new friends home as soon as possible! I am absolutely in love with this fish. I went and looked at them at the Pet Zoo the other day and they are just beautiful. They are just barely over an inch and seem to have a blue glow to them. I can't wait! I love the pictures you have on your icons! I want my own!!

My house is soon to be 1 big fishtank.

Jan 29, 2006
bradford,NH
if you are planning to put some in the 30 gal you have i would wait. I just wouldnt put rams in any tank but a really stable one thats been running for a while and has very stable clean water, these little guys can be touchy...

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
Oh no no no, I wouldn't put them in there. I lucked into a nice 20g that my friend cant take with her to her new house so I inherited it. I'm getting that one ready and after a few months of stable water I will go and bring home a nice couple! I'm such a nerd I printed out pictures from LiveAquaria of the Rams and taped them to the outside of the tank. MTS has hit me hard I do believe. 2 more weeks or so for the 200g to be ready for the sharks new home!!