German Blue Rams

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I've been reading up on these fish and plan on getting two in the next month or so. Everything I read says that they're better to add to a "mature tank," but what does this mean? Does it just mean a cycled tank, or is it something like ottos where your tank needs something specific? My tank was broken down and just put back together last weekend, but the entire time I was broken down I kept the filter and decorations in a different tank to keep the bacteria alive. If you don't count my last breakdown of the tank, it's been set up for almost six months. Prior to that I had everything from this tank in a different tank, so if you count that this tank is been up for more than a year.

My plan was the breed them and give the fry to my LFS, but is it true not to have snails because snails will eat the eggs? I know the most cichlids will eat snails, but I'm not sure if GBR will or not. My fish are in my signature, but the only ones I can imagine would be a problem are the cories or the whiptail. I don't want them to eat the eggs, and even more I don't want them to end up getting beat up should the rams breed. With my current stock should I just give up on breeding the rams? I mean, is it even doable to raise fry in a community tank?

It boils down to this:
Can I add rams, or do I need to wait?
Should I get a breeding pair, or just one?
Should I expect fry to live if I get a breeding pair?

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
GBRs will not mess with your other fish, save for maybe the corries at spawning time. You have plenty of plants so they'll feel sheltered. You'll have them in a peaceful community tank, so they'll feel they can come out more. They like a more shaded environment, so having your light broken is possibly a good thing for them.

I'm not sure about how the "aged water" deal goes with them though. You "could" be fine, or you "could" be screwed. Something the "smart" lfs guy mentioned about the Apistogrammas (GBR's aren't really apistos, but they're close in most regards) is that they're very sensitive to PH. He wouldn't even sell me a "true" apisto with my PH being at 7.2 (most apistos like 6.5PH). I know I lost a GBR at introduction that may have had PH contributing. I'm not for sure, but I think the PH deal may play a part in the "old water" concept.

Also, I picked up a bolivian instead of a german blue. Supposedly they're much more hearty than GBRs and have their own personality.

Coloration differences:

(Male Bolivian)

(Male German Blue)

Hope that helps some.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I'm not really sure what you mean by aged water. How would that play into water changes? Are you suggesting I get a Bolivian instead of a German Blue?

As far as the light being broke, it's not a super bright light to start with but I need to get it fixed for the sake of my plants. I'm using a desk lamp right now, but my floating fern covers enough of the surface that I think even when I get my light back it'll be shaded enough on the bottom of the tank.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
A "mature" tank is one where the water parameters have been rock solid for at least 6 months. In a new tank, the parameters (all of them, including pH at times) tend to fluctuate.

As far as the pH thing...that is complete BS. My GBR is THRIVING in a pH of 7.6. He came from a tank where the pH was just over 8 (about 8.1 or so). I acclimated him slowly over the course of two hours and he has never had a problem.

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
just looked at your''40 gal breeder" hope you dont get ick meds will kill snails. im confused are you starting a new tank? if not IMHO you might leave this one alone..