:) getting a 5 gallon tank

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
A local vet and wife are giving me a 5 gallon tank with platies that they are tired of fooling with. I hope to be able to use it when getting new fish to make sure they are well before adding to my 46 gallon. Maybe by then I will also have the other fish well from what is ailing them!

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
yes the fish seem to be suffering from a mild case of ick....I treated yesterday, did a water change today and yesterday and they seem much better.....raised temp in tank also but I did lose 2 last night :(

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Are these the platies int he 5 gallon tank:
1 Domino Platy,
3 Pineapple Platies,
3 Red Wagtail Platies,
3 sunset platies and
one Platy that is just different!

I hope these were already in your 46gallon bowfront tank and didn't come as part of the free 5 gallon

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
oh sorry, misunderstood the question.......the platies listed are the ones sick in my 46 gallon......I will get the 5 gallon this week and have no idea about them.....I treated mine again today but seems some aren't doing so well. Did a 50% water change this morning. The 5 in one test strips read good and I don't have access here locally to individual tests. I may end up losing them all. I am using Rid Ick Plus.

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
I got the five gallon tank this afternoon but instead of the 5 platies they said were there, it appears there are about 18-20 baby platies of various size.....1 inch and less. There was an algae eater in there and I need to research to see what kind it is but I put it into the 46 gallon tank as it really is long....about 5 inches. I will have to transfer some of the babies to the larger tank to get the overcrowdedness out of the small hex tank. I am excited though. I think some will be okay to transfer to my larger tank since they are larger fish. The fish in the larger tank are so much better today although I will continue treatment as suggested.
BTW, there is no heater in the 5 gallon tank.......there is a light......do I need a heater for the platies?
thanks