Getting a Blue Crayfish

My 10g tank is now empty (The discus is in a better place). So I asked my LFS to get a blue crayfish in for me. They will either get it in next week, or the week after. I want to know if the equipment I have is good enough.

Filter:
Eheim ECCO
or a Sponge Filter

Food:
Ancharis every so often
HBH Shrimp Pellets as a staple
A feeder as a snack once a month

Gravel:
Natural pea gravel

Decor:
Rocks
Piece of driftwood

I might get a light for the tank, not sure yet though. Is there anything I'm missing? Is the food good? Can I keep any tank mates with the cray? Any good websites on crayfish?

Sep 19, 2007
Colorado
would the crayfish tolerate conditions for African Cichlids? Or do they need softer water. And if they can, do you think that the cichlids would eat them?

Also, is there a crayfish or lobster that would tolerate brackish conditions?

Aug 27, 2007
Wow Gerald... god forbid someone post in YOUR thread.
Smashtime, this is my thread, you have to make your own for your own questions.
Maybe you should be more open to helping people? After all, isn't that what this is all about?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

Gerald, your plan sounds good.
smashtime105...even larger crayfish would eventually be eaten by cichlids when they moult. Smaller cichlids stand a great chance of being eaten by crays. I can't answer your question about brackish crayfish species...to my knowledge there aren't any.

BV

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
One thing that wasn't mentioned is some sort of "hiding place" when I kept crays mine seemed to enjoy some sort of cave, a cheap way to do that would be to grab a terra cotta pot and tip it on it's side, it will give your cray someplace to feel safe (especially when he/she moults). The cave isn't necessarily required, but mine seemed more comfortable with it.

I would definitely do some sort of lighting (though not required I suppose). My crays didn't particularly like bright lights (fluorescent) but they didn't seem to mind more subdued lighting (Incandescent) you can buy a cheap incandescent hood at walmart for like $20, and bulbs 2 for $5

Your also going to want to securely cover the tank, my crays were notorious climbers (right up the filters intake tube, and out on the floor). I bought a piece of plastic canvas, and secured it to the hood using aquarium sealant (pic below)

When using an "all in one" setup like eclipse, it's not so crucial (already sealed up pretty good), but with your basic 10g glass tank, I'd suggest secure covering. ;)