Getting a new tank.. just planning ahead

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
I never really planned on geting another tank. I currently have a 10 g and a 1.5 g for fry. Butttttt... my lfs is going to have a sale on fish tanks... only $1 per gallon!!!! Then 25% off the stands and stuff!! So I can't pass up the opportunity to get a 30 g... although I'm hoping to find room for a 55 g (don't think thats possible though!). I've been reading up on what fish to get for it after it cycles and is all ready to go. I LOVE figure 8 puffers, but are they brackish only? I also love the looks of Glass Catfish, Boesemani Rainbowfish, Red Rainbowfish, Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid, Blue Ram, and Moonlight Gourami are a few of the fish I have looked at. Please keep in mind that I have not yet looked at who can get along with who, as I think I have plenty of time to decide (atleast a month to cycle before I get fish).. I really like colorful or silver fish that are more than 1" in length. Do you have any favorites that I should look at? I'm open to any suggestions on my future 'stock' at this time. One of my major questions is how do I know who is a top swimmer, middle swimmer, and bottom swimmer? I think that I want to stick with a freshwater fish, but may be easily swayed another way if anyone has a great idea for a new tank! I'm open to ANY suggestions, as I really REALLY want some opinions on this! I'm thinking before I buy.. unlike last time........... :) Thanks so much!!!!!!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Wow that is a really wide open question you've got there :) Or should I say questions. I think your best bet is to do some searches and read through the forums. Try something like 'favorite fish' and see what comes up.

Planning out a tank is always a good start. As far as knowing what fish are "top middle bottom", most fish go all over, there aren't many exceptions...but in general loaches, suckerfish (plecos etc) and catfish are considered "bottom", some fish like hatchetfish and guppies usually prefer the top level. Many cichlids live in caves/rocks and could be considered bottom, but they're usually too territorial/aggressive to worry about putting anything else with them...they're their own kind of deal. If you're putting a community tank together, thats when you want to take into consideration where your fish are going to be in the tank in that 'level' thing.

Hey that sounds like a great deal though on the tanks and stuff, no matter what you end up putting in the tank! :)

Oh and a couple fish to check out, harlequin rasboras...if you like the silver more then maybe you'd like the scissortail rasboras more?

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
Hehe, you sound like me - your fish choices reflect many of mine. Love colourful fish, but am a total sucker for silvery ones too. If you look at my sig, I've got a 30 with a mainly rainbowfish setup with several boesemanis and a moonlight gourami. So I support the idea of a couple of rainbows, a gourami, and perhaps a couple of glassies. Of course I totally break the inch-per-gallon rule, and if you get those fish you'd prolly have to too. Boesemanis, red rainbows, moonlights all get to 6 inches supposedly. But I'm a firm believer that with good water changes you can ignore the newbie inch-per-gallon rule and stock according to intuition. So definitely try for that 55!

As for which place in the tank they tend to occupy... rainbows will go wherever there is more water flow. i have a canister filter with a pretty strong output, and the rainbows always crowd in the area right across from it where the flow is the highest - they love current. My gourami tends to be all over the place, even though they're supposed to be mainly on the top. But he's grabbing bits of algae all day long, from all parts of the tank. Glass cats tend to stay in the top level i think, though I can't speak from experience. Ask someone else about cichlids :p

I dunno how much advice that actually was, I'm just saying I agree with your choices

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
Thanks so much for the advise you guys! I'm so excited to get a new tank!! The $1 / gallon is amazing!! If you're in Southern Illinois next Saturday... you may be in luck! hehe.... I have a feeling that the cover, lights, etc aren't included, but still!! $1 is WOW! I really like my lfs, every 2nd wednesday of the month they have a sale where tanks, stands and canopies are sold at their cost, and all else is 25% off if you're a member of their friends program (only $10 to join). The best part... PetSmart is opening soon! More fish to choose from!! hehehe! Angel I will defiantly have to check out the fish in your 30 g setup! Thanks so much!!!!

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
I wish I could have gone bigger... buttt... I still don't really know where the 29 g will go! But I had to get it! lol. I will defiantly let you know next time the sale rolls around! They had amazing deals. They had bowfronts, cubes, everything you could think of! Everything else was on sale too such as filters and fish! I'm only about an hour and 15 min from Paducah, KY so you know how far away I am!

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
Ok... so I don't think I'm going to expand... I really don't have time for more fish. Is anyone interested in the brand new (never set up, never done anything except come into the house) 29 gallon tank and hood? I got it all for $60. I live in Southern Illinois. Speak fast or else I'm going to take it back to the store. Just thought I'd offer a good deal to anyone who wanted it.