getting bored with the fish??

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
i have been running a very successful barb species tank for just over 2 years now...i have bout 11 in a 29gl tank...they were always alot of fun to watch and the tank was always active...i think i am getting tired of the same fish...i also have a r.t shark in there...any suggestions on what other fish i could try to go good in a 29gl...i was looking at chichlids...any suggestions of type and how many i can get

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
You mean you are clearing out the barbs? If so then cichlids would be a cool choice to restock the tank with. :)

You could do a nice planted tank with Apistos or Rams (i lean towards Apistos), or species from Lake tang. In a 29gal you could have a nice Shelldweller colony, although it might leave a lot of empty space up top. Brichardi could be a nice choice. Kribs, another.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I love my little tanganyikan cichlids in my 29. Do some research and find out which ones are avaliable to you. The julies (julidocromis) are a lot of fun...so are the brichardis. Only thing I think I'd change if I was starting that tank over would be that I'd probably have made it a species tank, with a bristlenose and maybe one comp or other loner fish that can handle itself. Their behavior is so much different than watching a typical community tank, I could just watch them forever. Oh and the reason I say that lake, a lot of them stay smaller (under the 5 inch range) and many grow very slowly.

I think we all go through those phases...I kinda did it with guppies, now I have a tankful that I will give to anyone who comes by "hey you want some guppies?" lol no one seems to want them...so maybe I'll pawn them off on the roomie.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Mine aren't big enough to eat any of them except the little itty bitty ones....and I do throw those in there from time to time :D lol

Oh...your tank is planted...some cichlids dig, mine love moving the sand around...but I dont have plants in there so you might look into that. I think Orion keeps brichardis in a planted tank though with no problems??

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
pH is pretty much the same as other fish...if you're keeping african cichlids they dont mind a much higher pH than most tetras...but I am still a firm believer in that the fish will generally adapt to whatever pH you put them in.