Getting the right temp for WC?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
So I used to have this el cheapo heater that I would stick into my WC bucket to get the tap water to the right matching temps of my tank. I've since lost the heater and cant find it.

I just read a post by JWright that suggested you can just mix the hot and cold water faucets in your bathroom to get the right temp. wow..thats alot easier than waiting for it to heat up with my puny heater.

Does anyone else do this? I always thought it wasnt safe to add hot water from your bathroom pipes into the cold water for WC...

Doesnt your hot water pipe contain impurities or metals or something like that? I thought you were supposed to drink hot water from the faucet??

Someone clue me in...

thanks!

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I mix the two without any problems. I guess it just depends on your hot water heater and what kind of water you have locally. Sediments do build up in a hot water heater, thats why it is recommended to flush it twice a year.

CA_Peg

Small Fish
Sep 25, 2006
When I lived in Utah the cold water from our pipes was so stinking cold all year long that I had to turn on the hot water. I never had a problem and didn't even think about it until reading your post. Even though I'm in CA I still turn on the warm a bit so I can dump it in immediately. I used to have a small container to fill with water and let sit at room temp for a couple of days for adding water due to evaporation, but since I moved I can't find it....so now water goes in immediately. Of course I add a declorinator first, but the water doesn't get to sit a while.

Peggy

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Well, as you've read already, I've never had a problem with it.

Hot and cold water pipes are just as like to contain impurities. The only difference is that hot water sits in the hot water heater for a while where it is _possible_ for it to pick up some metals. Nowhere near enough to cause a problem though, IMO.