Ghost Catfish dont eat?

Kyle

Large Fish
Aug 5, 2004
My House
That's the same as the glass catfish right. If that's the case then they shouldn't be nocturnal.

How many do you have???

Maybe you should try some live brine shrimp blood worms!!!

Try some tropical fish flakes that won't sink as fast as the brine shrimp pelets.

dethjam316

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
they aren't nocturnal, no, but mine generally eat in the evening, when their tank light is off, but there is still ambient light in the room. your problem is that you're feeding them sinking food: these cats aren't designed to eat off the bottom, and they typically won't. mine graze off the top of the tank.

billfish

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2004
Visit site
While I have kept a ghost catfish by itself they do best in a shoal.

I too wondered about their eating habbits at first, no matter what i put in the tank the ghost catfish would just stay in one place while all the other inhabitiants darted around getting any and all the food.

I eventually crumbled up flaked food just before the lights would go off or added them after the light went off, I would shine a flashlight into the tank and discovered that not only was the ghost catfish eating but he was venturing out and away from his usual place in the tank.

You will find if you add more of his kind to be together in the tank,they will move around alot more. By himself I am sure he is feeling a bit intimidated.

Billfish

dethjam316

Large Fish
Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
they do like to school, and the more the merrier.

catfishmike: mine enthusiastically eat off the surface!!! but they only do it after the tank light is out while there is still other light in the room. they won't eat off the top much during the day when the tank light is on. i think they feel more comfortable then. also, the first month or so i had them, they only ate flakes if i swished the water around--they'd catch them on the way down. but since then (i've had them for 9 months or so) they go crazy for the flakes right at the top. mine also relish frozen foods, live blackworms, and other goodies.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
that makes sense deth,i have only had the oppertunity to take care of them in a retail situation,so i wasn't around for lights out.
i think glasscats are one of those fish that once you get them healthy and adapted to tank life they shape up well,but untill then they can be real tough to take care of.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Hmm, I have a glass cat that seems to be eating, but I too have noticed he prefers only ambient lighting to do so. I will have to get him a buddy or 2, which changes my plans for my 29g tank. thanks for the info!