GHOST CATFISH PREGNANT!?

bighit22

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2006
New Mexico
HELP! I know it is rare for ghost catfish to breed in tanks, but I think i might have done it!. One of my cats has a very rounded belly and you can see little black dots everywhere inside! I am extremely worried about whether or not I can make this happen. I posted it here because, i know most people dont check the breeding forum. I dont know if i need suggestions, so much as help. I really wanna make this happen, but im worried. I could be "famous" because, there are only a few reported breddings of ghosts in aquariums. I am soooooo woriied. I cant stress it enough. Please! Any suggestion, or... anything will help me. AUGHHHH! THE SUPENSE IS OVERWHELMING!!!!:eek: *SICK* :confused:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Remember that egglayers don't get "pregnant" they get eggs. Hopefully you have a male in the tank, and you can remove other fish. Once they lay and fertilize the eggs, you will need to remove the parents and wait for the eggs to hatch. Then, you'll need to feed the fry with baby brine shrimp or microworms.

Do you have room for your other fish to be moved? Cuz everything in your tank will eat them if they dont have a tank of their own, and i don think the eggs will hatch in hard water like tetras eggs, they need soft acidic
And this is jsut a educated guess, but the female can make all the eggs she wants, but you arent going to get squat if they don t want to spawn, if the male aint feeling it, then the femlae will just drop all the eggs unfertilized and they will become fish food. No offense, but by looking at other posts and your stocking, i doubt your water conditions are pristine enough for a rarely bred fish

Last edited: