Ghost Shrimp help...

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
OK...so I came home with a bunch of ghost shrimp.

I put them in the 3 gal tank by themselves.

Any tips on keeping/feeding/breeding them?

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
2 days later...all are alive and well!

Water temp was up to 87f so I have been slowly lowering the temp...

They are really coming up to play when I start dropping crushed flakes in the tank.

My water temperature stays between 78-80 (rarely 82) and all of my shrimp are alive and well. I had a little moment with some Amanos dying off but had kept them for months before just fine with no changes, so no idea what that was. My shrimp LOVEEE blood worms and the fish of course, but my RCS have become more red and the Amanos have become more active. They just love the blood worms, so I'd give them some of those as a treat. I syringe feed my bamboo shrimp blood worms so that's how I found out that they were psychotic for them, the Amanos get on the syringe and pull the blood worms out, ha. Nobody is thrilled with brine shrimp though maybe that's like feeding a pig bacon kinda thing? Heh

Crushed flakes are pretty good, I'm in an anti-flake food phase right now, but I know it works fine. Ghost shrimp are also not algae eaters, some shrimp eat algae more than others and ghosts are not huge fans, they are more like scavengers than anything.

But it sounds like you have it down just fine, so that's just my two cents!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
Just gave 'em some blood worms. Thanks for the idea.

Now if they would just make babies!!

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
lol..probably because they cost 10 times as much.

I can get GS for 40 cents. It's 4 bucks a pop for some RCS.

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
I hope my GS breed..... we'll see.

I bought 4 more and put them in the big tank but I only see one this morning...granted they are hard to see but I am pretty sure they will end up as a snack in that tank.

The little buggers in the small tank are great. A couple have taken to swimming upside down on the water surface to feed when I drop in food. And you can watch their whole digestive track as they eat...freaky and cool. Oh and don;t get me started on the wee little claws they have......funny!

I can only see 5-7 at a time out of 10. I suppose the others hide in the shelter they have.

Now if they would just breed!!!

RATS...do you feed the babies anything special or do they fend for themselves???

I think one of my GS died :( either that or a RCS it was a teeny one.

Shrimp are fabulous I absolutely LOVE how they swim, if you love the GS I bet you'd love the Red Nosed Shrimp they are very dorky and swim upside down and are just hilarious, plus their noses are great!

I have seen a few of my baby RCS when they are about 1/4 of an inch and they just pick around in the java moss and hide out until they are about half an inch, then they venture out and eat anything out there. SO I'm assuming they mostly just pick at any fish/food detrius. And fend for themselves!

I just now understood what "RATS" was LOL. :) Have you read about breeding them at all? I'd love to have some of my shrimp breed but the only ones that do are RCS, bamboos have never been known to breed in FW, Amano are way too hard to breed there is like a 45 day step by step thing for them, and its pretty rare with the red nose shrimp :( My only other hope is the GS, but I only have 4, I want to go to the store and get some more...maybe I will...you have me on a GS kick right now

TAL

Large Fish
Sep 7, 2008
From what I read they breed easily but the baby shrimps are very hard to raise in that there is very little one can feed them in the aquarium setting. Best results are when breeding them in an outdoor pond set-up.

That said....I have a bunch of shrimp and some first bites baby food. If I see baby shrimp I will do my best to raise 'em up and raise 'em good.

RATS...haha I like it.

I didn't make it to the pet store today :( I wanted to but darn place closes at like 8 or 9. I had heard they were hard to breed but found other sites saying they weren't, just like I find a ton that say CRS are super hard to raise but some are like "are you kidding me? easy peasy!" I think it so just depends on your tank and care for them....

If your tank is planted, which I don't recall how planted, I doubt it'll be an issue of food and maybe its more of an issue of others eating them because RCS are just as small and mine survive. My frogs don't even eat them, I watched a shrimp ride on my frog the other day, then he got annoyed and took off.

Maybe since you love them so much they will give babies! Or they won't want you to love GS other than them and may be jealous, haha.

ghosty

New Fish
Nov 16, 2010
what is this?

I have two ghost shrimp one large one and one small one the large one has a green like bag inside of the top of its head and it also has dark spots on it can any one tell me what this as it has happened twice now i will try upload a photo of it.

Attachments

If it has a neon colored green sac it'd normally be eggs, but on its underside. I'm not positive what you mean by the dark spots and green in the head, you can see the shrimps organs/brain/digestion if that's what you mean? My GS usually had bright pink blobs that you can actually see pulse and function especially during feeding time.

In this photo the GS is berried and you can see its pink digestive system

Last edited:
Ah, yes. I can see that way better now, that's usually a sign that once she molts if you have males they are going to come fertilize and she will eventually become berried. The eggs are not fertilized yet and remain in the saddle (back area), so if there isn't a male soon that will go away and she won't become berried. But if they do become fertilized they will move to the underside.

At least that's what it looks like to me...

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ghost shrimp larvae are planktonic and are not visible to the naked eye from what I read. if you have no predators in your tank, and you have no crazy impeller filters in your tank that will chop up the larvae, you may just see baby shrimp eventually as they grow larger and precipitate out of the plankton in your tank. A good filter that shouldn't harm them is a simple sponge bubbler. impellers i am guessing are certain doom.

dont know much about feeding the larva. I am thinking green water might help, but maybe not?

Oct 3, 2010
Detriot Mi
Its extremely difficult to breed ghost shrimp! Even if you catch you ghost shrimp with eggs and put it into a different tank. I'm pretty sure the moms will eat them . But if you want to watch your mom all day to see when she lays them then take them out that's fine. but that's to much work for me.Heres a good video some how the mom didn't eat them?
YouTube - ghost shrimp BABY to MOTHERHOOD crevettes