Ghost Shrimp shed!!

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
My ghost shrimp shed his first exo-skeleton.*thumbsups I was still pretty worried about them all after losing the first 2, but I guess things are going a little bit ok since he is growing and thriving. Also, my platy seems to be doing better. Apparently she is just a picky eater and prefers her flakes crumbled up really well before she eats them!! :) What a ham, I think I will call her Diva. :p I did a water change the other day. It was about a 25%, I will be getting my gravel cleaner tomorrow. I can't afford to get the python yet, I have to just buy the little tube thing with the short hose that drains into a bucket. Is there anything else I need for that to work? I mean is there a pump or something on it that gets the water started going through? Also, does it take a lot of water out while it is syphoning?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Congrats on the shrimp shedding.Mine do it quite regularly.They can disappear for days at a time and then they just pop up out of nowhere.That's usually when I find a moulted skin.

I wouldn't bother with a Python unless your tank is really big.Get a gravel vac that has the pump action.I have an Algarde one and find it really good.Theres nothing wrong with just a normal syphon tube really but the pump type just make it less hassle,plus you'll never get a gobful of water.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
To get the water started, some gravel vacs have a self-primer which just requires you to pump the vac end in the water to get it started, otherwise, just pop your vac end into your tank, feed your hose into the tank behind it making sure to get the air pockets out until there's enough water in the hose to drop over the side of the tank, cover the draining end with your finger and lower it into your bucket. The siphon should start right up. Then you can just vacuum away! The vacs come with instructions. :)

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Thanks ladies. My shrimp disappeared yesterday though I couldn't really look for it. (my daughter is a little sick at the moment) But lo and behold here it was today under the log eating the skin. Really glad, too. Real quick, how do you sex these? Or can you really for that matter?

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
I think it's as hard to sex shrimp as it is as hard to sex members.I'm a bloke.
Don't take it the wrong way but I think females tend to be the bigger,fatter ones,the males are sleeker.