Ghost Shrimp with Eggs

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
I have a ghost shrimp who has had eggs for 3 weeks and I am curious if anyone knows when the eggs will hatch. The only resourse I could find with a time frame said 2 weeks.
I have her in a home made breeding net so I can keep the babies from being eaten. I would appreciate any info.

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
There are several kinds of shrimp refered to as "ghost" shrimp. They don't all require brackish, I'm fairly sure the kind that I have don't.

I also just found a source that said the eggs hach in 27 days, it's been 26...
I guess I will find out soon.

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
:D I have baby shrimp!!!!!!!!

They look like fully formed, just tiny, shrimp which means that they are the completely freshwater variety according to my research.
I have counted 4 so far. They are about 3mm, they are very clear and hard to see unless you are really looking. You can mostly just see the eyes. I will post some pictures of the newborn shrimp soon if anyone is interested.
It took 27 days from the time I first noticed the eggs till I found them this morning.
I removed the mother, the babies are in the homemade breeding net/playpen. I made it out of pantyhose and bamboo skewers, the pantyhose have smaller holes then regular breeding nets.

NJmom2002

Large Fish
Nov 30, 2006
NJ
Congrats on your babies. My shrimps hatched on Monday. They are big enough to see them without straining my eyes now lol. Good luck with them.

jen0910

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2007
Savoy, MA/Western PA
Nope, mine are in a 5 gallon with the filter it came with and a heater. I have had them for a few months. Are you feeding them?

As an update, my babies are getting bigger, I have at least 4 that have survived so far and the mom is pregnant again, but, I don't have room for any more shrimp so I am just going to let nature take its course this time and leave the mom in the main tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Aww, how neat! I just started breeding red cherry shrimp. I was really disappointed, it appeared that my mommy shrimp "dropped" her eggs to the bottom of the bare bottom tank, where they turned yellow (they were green). I'm assuming they died? I don't see any baby shrimp, but perhaps I'll take a second look.