Ghost Shrimp

Sep 6, 2006
I Recently got 2 Gost Shrimp.

I dont Know Anything about Them, Any Help ?

Both Of Them Recently Died And I Have No Explanation Why

When I First Got them they Had these Little Green Round Ball's In the Belly's, I Didnt Know Wether If They Were Droping waiting To Be Dropped. Or Babies Ghost shrimp, But When The First One Died His Body Was Split In Half. And The Green round Balls Were Gone, the Second One Died Today And there are No More Green Balls In Him, so Is they Green Balls like there Life span Or Somthing ?

Illyria

Small Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Illinois
FishyFish said:
I Recently got 2 Gost Shrimp.

I dont Know Anything about Them, Any Help ?

Both Of Them Recently Died And I Have No Explanation Why

When I First Got them they Had these Little Green Round Ball's In the Belly's, I Didnt Know Wether If They Were Droping waiting To Be Dropped. Or Babies Ghost shrimp, But When The First One Died His Body Was Split In Half. And The Green round Balls Were Gone, the Second One Died Today And there are No More Green Balls In Him, so Is they Green Balls like there Life span Or Somthing ?
How was your aquarium situation or set up for: marine, freshwater. Ghost Shrimp require saltwater. Ghost Shrimp live for approximately 1 year, so they shouldn't have died that soon.

Illyria

Small Fish
Sep 15, 2006
Illinois
Sorry about not being clear, their are saltwater and freshwater Ghost Shrimp species, from what I have read. It depends where you aquire them. Anyone who knows good info, would be appreciated to clearify this or correct.

Sep 6, 2006
Well Who Eve Said They Molt, I think Is True, Cause I dont even know What Molt Mean's But I Just Looked At it and It's alive and Eaten, Im Guessing Molt Mean's Sleep Hard ?

But Definitly the other One died Cause It's body was Split In Half Then The Other One Started Picking at it ?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Molt means that it sheds its skin. Basically, you would see something that looks like a shrimp, but it's empty. It's perfectly normal for shrimp to do this, and they often eat their molted skin.

If your ghost shrimp is not moving and pink, it means it's dead.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I have problems keeping my ghost shrimp alive too...my other fish like eating them too much!

Most of the .30 ones you buy in fish stores are freshwater. I've heard that the freshwater ones are sensitive to salt in the water...but that might not be true. They are also sensitive to uncycled tanks and will die quickly if the ammonia or nitrites get too high.