Glass vs Acrylic

Toggil

Large Fish
Jun 10, 2006
Endicott NY
Wanted everyones opinions on the differences between the 2. I've been searching online for reef ready tanks, and came across a 29 gallon acrylic with overflow and holes drilled for to and from sump for $130, does this sound like a good deal?

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
They both have thier advantage and dissadvantages. Glass is heavy and dose not scratch, Acryllic Scratches easily and is light. I think that over time Glass ones look better. I have seen acryllic ones that tend to cloud over with time. They can be polished back up but it takes some time to do. I also depends on what you want to keep in the tank.

MAHA

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Acrylic would be a good choice if you plan to move and take your tank with you several times. It's much more robust that way. Acrylic also has better insulation properties and is better if you live in an earthquake zone.

Glass tends to be cheaper, and doesn't scratch.

It tends to be more common to have acrylic tanks with an overflow (and sump), which is useful, IMO.

I think the tank you're looking at is a pretty good deal. We got our acrylic tank used at a fraction of the cost of a new one.