Glowlight Tetra

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Suddenly today, one of our glowlight tetras is very close to death and will die any minute now. No idea what caused this to happen. All the other fish seem healthy and happy. We have quarantined the Glowlight but the fish is barely alive. Very sad.

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
how could it be the water? we have many other fish in the tank and they are all doing very well. they look healthy and are acting healthy. how could there be a water problem if only one fish got so sick. she is barely alive in our small 20x20x20cm hospital tank. it is agonizing watching the fish struggle to death. should we euthenize?

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
capper said:
how could it be the water? we have many other fish in the tank and they are all doing very well. they look healthy and are acting healthy. how could there be a water problem if only one fish got so sick. she is barely alive in our small 20x20x20cm hospital tank. it is agonizing watching the fish struggle to death. should we euthenize?
yikes...hard call...
if it were me...
i'd do all the chemistry i could on the water...
and if that failed...
i'd sit by the tank...put my hand on it...
and open my mind...relax...
then i'd know what was best... :(

[edit]...have to agree with shaunna below...
...cruel to be kind...

Last edited:

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
How many other tetras do you have in the tank? Tetras are much more sensitive to water changes than other fish so she may just be detecting a future problem for you. Or could just be a mystery. Hope you can figure something out. Personally I would euthanize if it truly that agonizing. You can always get another one and that one isn't suffering anymore.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Oftentimes, fish look fine until they're at death's door. Just because they're acting ok doesn't mean everything is where it needs to be. The first thing you should do whenever a fish isn't acting normally is to test the water -- he may be the canary in the mine. If the water tests at optimum conditions, you need to look elsewhere.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
At the very least, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Which tank is he in? How long has it been set up? How long has it been at the current stocking level? Have you added anything recently? When was the last water change and how much was changed? What else is in with him? How long have you had him? There are lots of things to consider beyond the water values, but you always start there unless there's compelling evidence otherwise (i.e., he's hanging out of a larger fish's mouth) ;)

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
The fish was in our 60X36X30cm tank. We have 7 other glowlights, 12 Cardinals, 1 guppy, 4 corydoras catfish, 5 Rummy Nose Tetras, and 7 African Lampeyes. We have had this formula of fish for quite a while (2 months). We added the Lampeyes about 3 weeks ago. Since yesterday, the sick Glowlight has been in the small quarantine tank and basically looks like a ragdoll hanging on by a hair. It's bouncing around upside down with a burst of energy every minute or two. Very upsetting and sad. We changed about 1/3 of the water in our tank last Sunday. Generally we've been doing weekly changes of about 1/3 or so. So no big change from the norm.

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Just checked the water. The only tests I am able to do are PH and Nitrite. PH is the same it has always been -- just a tad over 7.5. Nitrite is below .3, which seems optimal and the same it has been previous.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Isn't upside down swim bladder disease? Is it upside down... like belly up? Or upside down... like it's nose is down and it's tail is up in the air?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
It's much more helpful if you give the gallons instead of dimensions. It saves us from having to figure it out or search for previous posts to answer a question. ;) Sometimes dimensions matter -- i.e., with uncommon shapes. This is the 17 gallon tank.

Even tho they're small, you have quite a few fish in that tank. You need to know what the other readings are and some really need to go somewhere else. Nitrite needs to be zero, nothing higher. 2 months isn't much time for a tank and it could still be cycling -- especially with nitrite readings.

With the fish in question, it really doesn't sound good. Is the QT cycled? If not, do very heavy water changes daily if possible (75% minimum). When they get to that point you usually have to make some other decisions. :(

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
;'t

Sorry that I keep giving the size of the tank in centemeters and not gallons. I am in Japan and it is very difficult to get the information unless I am able to convert it. They just don't provide us with that info.

As I said before, all of our other fish seem fine and healthy. One fish was very sick and we quarantined it. It was acting really strange. Laying upside down and / or tail on the rocks in a horizontal position. It kept bouncing around and then laying down. If I was to describe the way it was acting it was like unconscious but continuously coming to life with an electrical-like shock. Very strange. Very upsetting. I thought about euthenizing because I don't see any chance for recovery. However, I have also heard that fish don't suffer like people. Therefore, I thought I would let nature takes its course and leave the fish quarantined. It kept hanging in there. I am out of town on business so I am not sure the status. I expect the worst and hope for a miracle. Not likely.

Anyway, Nitrite level was below 0.3 -- the lowest on the scale.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
capper said:
Sorry that I keep giving the size of the tank in centemeters and not gallons. I am in Japan and it is very difficult to get the information unless I am able to convert it. They just don't provide us with that info.
That's ok, but I've converted it in this forum a few times for you now. ;) It just makes it easier to help understand what may be contributing to problems.

capper said:
Anyway, Nitrite level was below 0.3 -- the lowest on the scale.
Are you using test strips or the reagent tests (using drops)? The reagent tests are far more accurate than the test strips and you definitely need ammonia and nitrate tests too.

Sorry about the fish. Sometimes they surprise you, tho. Let us know?

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Using drops -- not test strips... The fish is really really hanging on to life by the smallest of margins. I have a small plastic plant in our little 20x20x20 quarantine tank. the fish managed to get stuck (intentional maybe) int he plant at an angle and is simply entwined in the plant and breathing a wee bit. Otherwise, no movement.