Going awaw for two nights...just started aquarium...help!

Sep 12, 2006
Hey there,
Ive got a few questions for you guys, thanks in advance for the help. I just started this tank about a week or so ago...Have 2 angels, 5 danios, a gourami and a pleco. EVerything is going great, and I am going home to get a few more fish from our reputable LFS...I am pretty set on getting a school of tetra, and 3-5 cories and possibly some freshwater plants. Any objections/suggestions?
Anyways, I am leaving on a fri nigth, and coming back sometime Sunday. What should I do for the fish?!?! Like, should I leav the light on the whole time, get one of those time release food tabs, etc? Thanks a lot for the help.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Hi

First How big is the tank? I would suggest not to get any fish because your tank has only been running 1 week and has not finished cycling. Have you been checking your water parameters? it is very important that you do so. I think it is not safe at all to add any fish or even leave them for 2 days

Sep 12, 2006
Panther,
It is a 29g tank. I have checked ph so far, and it is fine, and I am getting some more test kits when I go home. I get everything for free from the LFS, so Im going to stock up. You still wouldnt recommend getting a few fish? Granted, I do have to drive back 3 hours, but they would be fine in their bag, right?

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
At present you already have a few fish. I would definetly not suggest getting anymore for now. The most important parameters that you have to check now are Ammonia and nitrite. You have to get test kits for them. As for the 3 hour drive that is a lot of time. Even if they make it through the 3 hour drive they will be very stressed and might not make it in the tank. You will have to keep the temperature controlled in the bag. Which I dont think you will be able to do for a 3 hour drive. What I will suggest is that DON'T get anymore fish until your tank cycles. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? read the link below

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...eshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.html

And Get test kits as soon as possible

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
thats a little packed for a 29g. if u dont have live plants right now, i would just feed the fish regularly (nothing extra) before u leave on friday and turn the lights off. they dont NEED light everyday and they can go a week without eating and suffer no ill effects. if u do have plants, only way is to get a timer. if u leave them on ur tank will be overrun with algea, and it will be a pain to get rid of.

Sep 12, 2006
Risk,
I will most likely just add a school of cories, and go from there...I figure I will only get about 3-5 more fish total. Would you still advise not brining fish back from home, like Panther? Thanks for the advice. What I was wondering, in an effort to speed up the cycling process, is if I should get some gravel or something from the LFS I'm going to at home (the largest one in Florida) to help speed up the cycling process. Also, would you recommend doing a water change anytime soon? I started the tank a week ago Friday (tomorrow). Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
cories will be good in there but u may want to reconsider that pleco. they grow reallllllly fast, probably about the size of ur tank and they make more waste than they clean things up. theres a ton of people that love plecos though, so its only a suggestion. 3 hours is pretty tough, u may want to get a battery operated air pump and stick an airstone in each bag. im not sure where u live so i dont know about temp. change and whatnot but i dont think the temp would drop fast enough to kill the fish but it will probably get a little stressed. id say biggest thing in a small bag is enough oxygen in the water. but that air pump should help out alot.

i would definately get some "used" gravel from an established tank if u can. it will speed up the time of cycling tremedously. if u cant find any gravel that matches what u have and dont want to mix it u can put the used gravel in a stocking and hang that inside ur tank. i wouldnt recomend a water change at this point as this would set the cycle back by killing most of the established bacteria. after its established then once a week water changes will work out nicely especially with that number of fish.

Sep 12, 2006
Thanks, you literally just made my day. I am going to the store now to buy some of that stuff. ALso, I am told that I should do a water change about once a week. What quantity would you recommend, and how often? Thanks so much, I really appreciate all the help.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Many people say 25% every 2 weeks but it is much better and safer to do a 25% -30% water change every week. Once you add the bio spira wait for a week and do a water change. Once you add bio spira your water parameters will be optimal condition. Then you will just have to check for nitrates and do water changes accordingly.

RISK2123

Medium Fish
Aug 29, 2006
L.A. Cali
Panther28 said:
Many people say 25% every 2 weeks but it is much better and safer to do a 25% -30% water change every week. Once you add the bio spira wait for a week and do a water change. Once you add bio spira your water parameters will be optimal condition. Then you will just have to check for nitrates and do water changes accordingly.

spoken like a champ! if u do that u will have a healthy tank.

i just want to reiterate what panthers saying, wait to do a water change untill the tank is fully cycled!! even if ur water gets cloudy do not do a water change. cloudy mean ur tank is cycling properly and u are having a bacteria bloom.

good luck with the new fish!!