Going away for a night and day- Advice?

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
I'm going to be away from home from this Sunday afternoon until Monday night. No one will be in the house. I need some advice about what I should do- I haven't left my fish alone yet. (hard to believe)

Just changed the water yesterday so all set there. What about food? I'm sure they aren't going to starve over a night and a day, but my buggers are spoiled- I'm very regular with their feeding (first thing A.M. and right after work) Should I get one of the vacation feeders? You know those white things that look like snail shells? Or just give them a little more food than usual before I go?

Also should I just leave the light off the whole time? Maybe open some curtains for some natural light during the day?

My wife says they'll be fine just the way they are, and she's probably right, but its my first tank and I love it, you know? :eek:

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
I am so glad you asked this question!! I am in the EXACT same situation and wasn't sure what to do about the fish! I guess I'll just feed mine a little extra on sunday, and defiantly right before I leave, them feed them as soon as I get home monday night? And they get to 'sleep' all day!! hehe

charleyevette said:
I am so glad you asked this question!! I am in the EXACT same situation and wasn't sure what to do about the fish! I guess I'll just feed mine a little extra on sunday, and defiantly right before I leave, them feed them as soon as I get home monday night? And they get to 'sleep' all day!! hehe
You shouldn't need to feed them any extra. Just feed them normally. They'll be fine, really.

I worried about that, too, but I was away for a couple days, came back and they were fine.

Mind you, the cat wouldn't talk to me...moody bugger...

May 15, 2006
Central Maine
Would it be alright to just leave the curtains open so they'll get some daylight? I'm not worried about algae, my Pleco keeps the tank spotless and I'm sure he wouldn't mind some more food.

On another note, just got my AP master test kit, everybody told me to ditch the strips, and its great! Here are my parameters:

pH - 6.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 6-7
Temp- 84 F

Do those seem ok? I know my pH is low- most likely the driftwood's fault, because my tap water is 7.2, but its stable and the fish seem to be doing ok.