Going away for a weekend and I have fry need help

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
Im going away on the weekend of the 21st. I know my regular fish can go without food for 2 days but I also have 3 baby fry that are only a couple days old. I have been reading that fry need to be fed like 2 times a day or so. Is this true.
What can I do to make sure they are fed. I don't have anyone that I can trust around here that could come over and feed them.

Is there a plant or something that they would nibble on or something. Looking for suggestions.........

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If there's enough stuff for your fry to nibble on in the tank they'll probably be fine over a couple days too. If it was going to be longer I might be worried...but they eat such a small amount anyway...

Bruckm

Large Fish
Mar 31, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Feed very well the couple of days before you leave. There'll probably be plenty of bits of food lingering for them. I've discovered fry in tanks that were several weeks old. I had never purposely fed them. Ideally yes, you should feed them at least a couple of times each day. The younger the fry the more able they are to survive on the micro-organisms (infusoria) present in the water. As long as you don't have a large number of fry, you only have 3, there should be enough to keep them going.

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
They will be fine. However, if you are worried, try a 3-day feeding block. It dissovles gradually and some of the food it releases will be small enough for fry. This might be a way to put your mind at ease so you enjoy the weekend.

Apr 7, 2005
NUNYA
I have 3 platy fry. I find one more everyday here the last couple days. So I have a total of 3. When I go down this morning I look for there to be another one. It's like they want in the breeder tank cause that is where im finding them right outside the breeder tank like they are banging to get in. *BOUNCINGS

I have them in a breeder tank, with a little bit of java moss.

Before she had them I was just going to let the other fish eat them but since my platy had her fry and I seen them, I can't do that. (This is my first set of fry) *BOUNCINGS *BOUNCINGS