going on holiday need help

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
i am going on holiday for 3 weeks back 2 the uk i only have a little tank about 10 uk gallons there is only 5 fish in there and they are only gold fish but we have no one 2 look after then will they be ok for that long or can i do somthink for them i need help asap thanks

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You can get an automatic feeder for the tank, but make sure you feed a lot less than you normally do to try to keep the water quality good.

To be honest, that tank is way too small for goldfish. They need about 10g (40 litres) for each fish.

Dec 1, 2007
five goldfish in a 10gallon tank is extremely overstocked- Goldfish need 20gallons for the first fish and 10gallons for every goldfish added after that. I highly doubt they'll be okay for three weeks without constant water changes. You might want to look into bringing them back to a LFS. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh, but there's just no way they'll be okay for that long in a 10gallon tank without water changes, even with water changes, it's way too overstocked.

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
thanks

well we went and got an atomatic feader and i have had the fish for 2 years now and they seem fine and happy i am really new to all this so i dont really no i was thinking of upgrading my tank when i come bk to about a 86 uk gallon so any ideas are welcome

SAE

Small Fish
Apr 14, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I agree that tank is extremely overstocked.

If you are not willing to give some away, I would set the feeder for minimal feedings to try and keep the water parameters in better shape until you get back.

Getting a larger tank when you return would be good. They certainly need more space.

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
I do not want to repeat anything that has been said above as it is all correct. Do you have a friend that could potentially know how to change the water? 3 weeks is a lot of ammonia produced from these fish as they are very messy.