Gold fish and Male Betta in unheated tank?

Dud

New Fish
Apr 24, 2005
NO,

but you can keep one goldfish in an un-heated 50g tank

& a betta in an un-heated 2g tank, as long as you can keep the temp pretty warm if you cannot then get a small heater

*GOLDFISH*

Sep 16, 2004
Manchester, England
Visit site
You can keep a goldfish and a Betta in a heated tank. Just be aware that while the heat will not have a particularly adverse effect on the Goldfish, the higher temperature will force the Goldfish's metabolism to run faster, which in turn has the effect of decreasing its lifespan.

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
i wouldn't keep a goldfish and a betta in the same tank. they just are not suited to each others enviroment, if your putting a warm water fish with a cold water fish in the same tank then one if not both arent going to be happy

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Just don't do it. Experimenting like that just stresses out the fish. Goldfish, done right, need a lot bigger tank (20gal per fish is optimal) than it appears when you first get them, otherwise they just get stunted and look pathetic.

Bettas do NOT like company... ever. Even when they breed they beat the ever-living-life out of the female first. Some will tolerate company better than others, but still not a good idea to experiment with these guys. Heated, slow-filtered 5 gallon tank with NO company and some food now and then is all a betta can ever dream for!

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
You shouldn't keep goldfish with ANY other kinds fish. Bettas of course are best kept alone too, but for a different reason. Goldfish are rather "dirty" fish, and their waste can make other fish sick really easily. Goldfish are fine unheated. Bettas are fine unheated where I live, but it's usually warm here anyway. I'm sure that makes a difference.