Goldfish and Fancy Tailed Guppies

Jul 1, 2013
I've got a pretty big tank and it's already set up and been running for about 2 years with successful fancy tailed guppies. My little sister just won a goldfish from a carnival and wants to put her goldfish in with my tank. Is it okay fro the goldfish to be in there? Will it hurt my guppies, will my guppies hurt it, and would it hurt the goldfish to eat the same kind of food as the guppies if it's okay to be in the tank? A fast response would be perfect, I really don't want her fish to die, but I don't want it to kill off my guppies either. Thanks in advance!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Goldfish are cold water fish - Guppies are tropical fish so they need a warmer temp. The common goldfish at carnivals can really carry a lot of diseases and many don't live very long. I don't think I would take chance. You also don't say how large your tank is and gold fish are very messy and need at about 20 gallons for each.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Welcome MR.

I agree with Thyra.

What you probably got from the carnival is a comet goldfish. The type typically sold for pennies a pc from seriously overcrowded and diseased tanks, intended as feeder fish. You could potentially sicken your existing tank by putting one in there. Like said, a heated tank can make them sick and in tern, sicken your tank.

These fish can live in bowls or tanks, but they won't live well. They are pond fish that can grow to well over a foot long. Just don't release them such that they can get into main bodies of water.

You could probably have a go with a comet or two in a 55gal tank by themselves. Need serious filtration due to their messiness.

Fancy goldfish (fantail) need a minimum of a 20g tank by themselves and an additional 10g for each additional fancy IIRC.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2013
Honestly just throw out the goldfish itll probably just cost you a 1$ at walmart petsmart etc. lol cx
While the fish may be undesirable, throwing it out is unacceptable, donating it to a LFS or such where it might have the opportunity to be purchased and added to a pond, or have the prospect of a decent life.

Simply discarding fish because you do not want it is appalling, they are not able to fend for themselves, pets rely on us to take care of them you have more responsibility than that to them regardless of how they come into your life.

Jul 5, 2013
While the fish may be undesirable, throwing it out is unacceptable, donating it to a LFS or such where it might have the opportunity to be purchased and added to a pond, or have the prospect of a decent life.

Simply discarding fish because you do not want it is appalling, they are not able to fend for themselves, pets rely on us to take care of them you have more responsibility than that to them regardless of how they come into your life.
AMEN haha im justkidding you dont have to get all ;/ on me

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
C'mon Jimmy... Plus it would take like 3 of them to make one fish stick. Be reasonable now.

I'm kidding! LOL.

A proper home for all critters is always important to me.

Somthing comet goldfish related:

We use Niagara River water at work for cooling. We're about a mile from the river and maintain a massive pumping station on site that supplies cooling water to us and surrounding plants. Basically we take water in, rough filter it, pump it up to ~70psig at a gazzilion gallons per minute... use it to cool equipment through heat exchangers, then we return it cleaner then what we took in (and under 10degF warmer). and believe me.. it's highly regulated and monitored.

Anyway, it's not uncommon to take in some fish at the screens and wash-out pits at the pumping station. What fish have survived for years happily swimming around where we clean the screens? Comet gold fish. People release them in the great lakes. We've got some 12 inchers that I've fed for years. They survive the frozen water winters, etc. Employes do take them from time to time, but some are permanent plant pets.

Last edited: