goldfish dying, algae eater next...new to this

Jan 19, 2007
We got my daughter a 10 gallon aquarium, 13 goldfish and a suckermouth catfish for Christmas. Since then we are down to 5 goldfish and now it looks like the catfish is dying. We have a heater set at 74 degrees, a filter, and some plastic plants. It looks like the goldfish have been attacking the catfish...is that why it is dying? Please help, I have no clue. Thanks

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
Please read this sticky, it will give you all the steps to start up a new tank. Sticky: Freshwater Beginner Stickies (READ ME FIRST)

I'm guessing you did not cycle your tank before putting fish in. The ammonia and nitrites and nitrates will have gone thru the roof. You also put way too many fish into the 10 gallon. The general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon using the fish's adult size. Goldfish get very big so are not appropriate for a 10 gal.

I suggest taking the remaining fish back to the fish store if you can and get something more appropriate for a 10 gal, like danio's or a betta (both are very hardy and good for beginners) Just peruse thru our profile section for fish information.

Don't feel too bad, you've made a somewhat common newbie mistake. :)

Last edited:

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Yeah, If i were you id do a 75% waterchange asap, and take back the fish. Also it would be really good if you could buy a test kit for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte. Try to get the kits with the drops and not the strips as these are unreliable. Testing the water often will determine when you should be changing water etc

Jan 19, 2007
cycle?

I am sure I could search the site and find out what that means, but someone can tell me faster :)

We followed the instructions sent with the aquarium as far as treating the water.

Well, since I posted the message, the algae eater is gone and another goldfish :(

I really want to make this work, so I will go get a water kit later today.

thanks

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Ok i cannot really explain the cycle bit, but you really shpuld do a BIG water change now! the ammonia in the water is causing the fish to die, it burns there gills and is not a very nice way to die. The ammonia in the water at the moment is probably off the scale

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
In a nutshell???
I borrowed this from a stickie.
Eventually you'll have to read through them.

http://myfishtank.net/forum/freshwater-beginner-information-questions/19568-setting-up-new-tank.html said:
Cycle Tank
THIS IS THE MOST NEGLEGTED PROCESS IN FISHKEEPING! It is also the reason for most beginner fish deaths and why some people give up on keeping fish. Usually cycling a tank is done by putting fish in the tank and letting nature take its course. While it is possible to cycle with fish, it often shortens the fish lifespan and often kills the fish outright. Fishless cycling is actually easier and has the benefits of not hurting the fish and allowing you to fully stock your tank once the cycle is complete. Fishless cycling is simple; add enough ammonia to the tank to increase the level to 5ppm. Keep the level of ammonia at 5ppm until the tank is capable to removing the ammonia in a 24 hour period (ammonia level reading 0). Beneficial bacteria have then been created that convert the ammonia into nitrate. Almost done now. The Nitrites are also dangerous to fish just as ammonia is, but the next step in the process is bacteria that change nitrites into nitrates. Nitrates are less harmful to the fish and are easily removed by water changes. A good test kit is essential to determining when your tank has completed the cycle. BE PATIENT, cycling a tank can often take between a month or two. Yes it's a long time, but your fish will love you for it. Bio-Spira can be used to "instantly" cycle a tank, but it is the only product known to actually work and is usually hard to find. Some people add substrate/decorations or swish filters from an established aquarium to jump start the cycling process.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Fish produce ammonia like we produce urine. They are constantly releasing this into the water. Ammonia is _very_ toxic. Fortunately, there exist a few species of bacteria that "eat" ammonia. These bacteria will grow in your filter, and start to reduce the ammonia level in the tank.

Unfortunately, these bacteria release nitrite as they "eat" the ammonia. However, there are other bacteria that will grow to eat that nitrite, once the level gets high enough.

You have a couple problems right now. One, is that it takes weeks for those bacteria colonies to establish themselves, so in the mean-time, nothing is getting rid of the ammonia.

The second problem is that you have a _ton_ of waste being produced in that tank. A ten gallon tank isn't a suitable home for even 1 goldfish, let alone 13. Goldfish are very messy fish, and they get very big (and live for a long time).

So, the lack of the good bacteria, plus the amount of waste being added to the tank means that your ammonia level is probably sky-high.

Now, what do you need to do... First thing it to do a large water change. Remove 50% of the water, and replace it with fresh, treated, water. Do this again 30 minutes later.

Second, pick up a test kit from your local fish store (LFS) and find out what your ammonia and nitrite levels are.

Finally, I would really recommend you return the goldfish. They aren't really suited to a 10 gallon tank. You'll have a much happier tank if you get some smaller fish like Zebra Danios.

If I were you, I'd take the goldies back and get 2 danios (make sure you change _all_ the water before adding new fish to the tank). Over the next few weeks, monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a water change if they get too high. After the ammonia and nitrite levels are 0, it's safe to add a couple more fish and repeat the cycle process (it will be much shorter the second time, since the bacteria will already be there, they just have to grow a bit).

~JW

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
dakotahlynn said:
I am sure I could search the site and find out what that means, but someone can tell me faster :)

We followed the instructions sent with the aquarium as far as treating the water.

Well, since I posted the message, the algae eater is gone and another goldfish :(

I really want to make this work, so I will go get a water kit later today.

thanks
I posted the link so you wouldn't have to search for the directions. I do hope that you take the time to read up and do your research before trying again. :)