Goldfish food??

Oct 24, 2005
It kind of depends on the environment and the desired results. There are some good high quality flake foods that will help enhance the color of your goldies that work well in a tank. There's some good pellet foods out there that work well in a pond setting, because flakes don't do well on ponds for us. Also, variety is key. Mix in some bloodworms or brine shrimp once in a while, they'll thank you for it.

Here's a pretty good food link. http://www.goldfishinfo.com/feeding.htm

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
are there any other fish in the tank or is it a goldfish only tank? Also how big is the tank and how many golds are in it? That will help find a good food type/amount for you too

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
It is a 12 gallon eclipse (bio-wheel) fish tank. No fish in it yet, but the last tank I had I fed them fish flakes and they seemed to like them. Oh anyway, my new fish are going to be Fantail or Veiltail gold fish.

Should the brine shrimp be live or frozen? And if live, how should I store them?

-Xan

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
With fancy goldfish, just keep the diet simple and varied. They are typically slow eaters.. that is... they sometimes have a hard time collecting food from the surface but will always act hungry.

Golides are mostly veggie-eaters, so cucumbers, lettuce (parbroiled: dipped in boiling water for a couple seconds to sanitize it), zuchinni are good.

A little protein (fish meal) in fake food is good to. Nutrifin Staple flake food is cheap and does a good job.

I also use floating pellets, but more for my Koi and Comets, who can gobble them up quickly.

The trick is to keep the feedings small, regular and at the same time each day if possible so you don't end-up overfeeding goldies.

Sep 8, 2005
I agree with iggy... also peas are good out of the shell. If you use pellets soak them for a few minutes before droppng them in. Hikari is an excellent brand.

Sep 8, 2005
I give mine freeze dried or frozen. The frozen you keep in the freezer. Just cut or break off what you are going to feed them. The freeze dried you store in the original container. I have never fed the live or strained teas so can't help you there as far as storage.