Goldfish Might Have Ick, Odd Coloring.

Sep 2, 2013
Hello,

I have begun to notice that one of my comet goldfish might have Ich, and that his fins and body were getting a weird rusty discoloration that I haven't noticed before. My research hasn't brought up any conclusive information for me. Can someone please help me understand. what is going on and how to treat? He is a white and red goldfish, primarily white and thats where I can notice the red the most. There are 2 other comets and 3 fancy goldfish in the 56 gal tank.

Thanks.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
No definitely not ich. Ich would look like you sprinkled him with salt. Sounds like it could be velvet. Never dealt with that particular parasite though. Can you provide your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

How long has this tank been established and how long have these fish been in there? A photo, if you can, would be useful too.

Sep 2, 2013
No definitely not ich. Ich would look like you sprinkled him with salt. Sounds like it could be velvet. Never dealt with that particular parasite though. Can you provide your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

How long has this tank been established and how long have these fish been in there? A photo, if you can, would be useful too.
Sorry for not being clear earlier, the fish has white spots on his tail fin that look like Ich in addition to the red markings. I originally had 3 comets in a 10 gal. When they outgrew their tank, I moved them into this 55 gal and got the fancy goldfish to go along with my original comets. The tank has been setup for 4 months.

Ammonia 2 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 5 ppm

They swim too quickly for a clear picture so I will upload a video that shows him better.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2013
[video=youtube_share;IEn9okt34NY]http://youtu.be/IEn9okt34NY[/video]

Focus on the orange and white one. It is hard to see in the video, but easier if you can make it load in 1080p.

Feb 27, 2009
Any reading of ammonia needs to be dealt with immediately. What do you use for a water conditioner? Some can detoxify ammonia until its under control (at 0).

Massive daily or twice daily water changes are needed to keep the fish free of ammonia poisoning.

I would also suggest researching the requirements of the fish you are keeping. A 55 (or 56, you changed the volume) gallon tank would hold 3 or 4 fancy goldfish at the most. Comets need ponds.