Goldfish Pond

May 5, 2006
I just currently put in a 90 Gallon fish pond for my mom. I was wondering about the process of choosing fish and setting them up for a 90 gallon pond. I have never done this before. I have an inside aquarium, so this is completely new to me. What should the conditions be? What should I get? Someone please give me as much information as possible. Thanks in advance!

P.S. We also have cats in our yard. Do you think the fish will be safe around them? I don't think the cats would mess with the pond, but does anyone have any experience in this situation?

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
you could go with the cheap feeder goldfish, that way if the do die or get eaten, then they are much cheaper to replace than a 10 dollar koi, and mosquito fish are always good to have. the feeder goldfish look alot like koi, but they dont have the "wiskers" like koi do, and they come in all different colors., in a 90 gallon pond you have room for about, 5-6 feeders at full size, but that takes along time, you could probably get away with about 20 smal ones till they get bigger. then you might need to sell them or get a bigger pond lol but this is just my opinion, you could also go for the fancy goldfish like fantails, mors, ryukin, or telescopic, but they are a little harder to maintain.,

As for conditions, the have all the supplies, and chemicals at almost every petstore, goldies like coldwater, and need a lot of water maintence.

EmberC

Small Fish
Feb 6, 2006
Ohio
My parents have a large outdoor garden pond with 20+ goldfish. All but 3 are feeder goldfish. The originals had babies last year and a large amount survived Ohio winter. Its hard to count them all the time but they grow fairly fast in all that space. The 2 year old ones are about 5 inches now. My dad never put any chemicals in the pond. It took about a year to naturally balance all out with acceptable algea amounts.

May 5, 2006
How should I treat the water and get the pond prepared for the Goldfish? Anyone ever done this before? Directions would be nice. Thanks to those who have helped so far.