gonna try some salt

Mar 24, 2003
unda da sea
Visit site
took my sista's girl to see that nehmo movie last night, man those are some way kewl fishes, im gonna turn my 100 gal katfish tank into a saltwater nehmo tank, with sharks and everthang, i know i have made a few mistakes when i first started, but im asking FIRST this time, so do i need to drain my water or can i just add some salts to it ? i might get to go to the florida soon, i can get some sea shells and stuff fer decorashun, maybe even a couple 5 gallon wata bottles of fresh sea water!

Feb 23, 2003
Naples Fl.
www.millevolte.com
Saltwater is great. I just started my first tank a couple of months back. Saltwater is also very expensive and requires more research. I will start with some basics.

First you will need adequate lighting. 3 watts per gallon is a good start for fish and "live rock". If you want corals and such you will need 6 or more watts per gallon.

Next comes filtration. Biological filtration is a big thing in the hobby now a days. This is done by having "live rock" and "live sand" in your tank. Protien skimmers are another standard. HOB filters can be adequate with lots of live rock and live sand. Others utilize more complex filter systems and methods.

Your source of water is another big key to your success.
Many in the hobby only use RO/DI filtered water. Water such as this can be purchased at many LFS or you can put in your own RO/DI unit. Natural seawater can be used if coming from a clean source or filtered properly afterward.

Fish requirments and compatibility issues should be researched before purchasing.

WetWebMedia.com is a great resource for beginers.

Last edited: