Good, bad or ugly

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Hi All

Can someone please tell me what this is?

I have a 150g and got some new live rock, after putting it in, this "stuff" popped up.

kendakr

Small Fish
Oct 8, 2006
I can tell you what that looks like to me cause I am fighting it right now. That appears to be aiptaisa, a type of pest anemone. There are plenty of products that are designed to kill it but I hear Joe's Juice works well. Don't pull it up because it will break and spread even more you need to use a chemical to kill it. Also, if or once your tank cycles Peppermint Shrimp may eat it.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Thank you all. This tank is cycled, and has been up and running for about 6 months. Got some happy lionfish in there. Will Joe's Juice or lemon juice harm the fish?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Lemon juice is a lot more difficult to use as you have to actually inject it into the anemone with a needle without going through the other side and squirting it into the tank. The Joe's Juice is the way to go...and do it quickly before the darn things take over the tank. Unfortunately, with the Lions you can't get any peppermint shrimp in there...they will just be a spendy snack.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I think I would be tempted to take the rock out to treat it......then replace it. Sort of isolate it until you get the aiptasia under control, you don't want it to spread.

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Thank you all. I have taken the rock out, and am drowning it in lemon juice. For the rest, I'll get some red hermits, and see if I can find some of Joe's Juice.