good fish to mix with golden gouramis

Sep 2, 2004
Visit site
i have two golden gouramis in my 20 gallon tank, they have grown to about 4 inches long, one of them is quite aggressive, i am looking to restock my tank since all my other fish died a few months ago, what are some fish that would do ok in a tank with two golden gouramis?

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
In a 20 (assuming that youa re talking about the golden mutation of opaline gouramis) I personally wouldn't add anything unless you get rid of one of the gouramis- they get to be about four inches which is sort of a lot for territorial fish in a small tank. I'm not an expert though, you could probably get away with a small school of tetras too big for gouramis to eat.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Sometimes you can get away with company for an agressive fish by putting faster smaller fish in there - it avoids a head to head fight scenario. Not always fun for the small fish, but some are better than others at it.

I used to have Blue Acara in with a mean *** Midas, but the Acara would latch onto his tail (the end without the teeth) and just stay on point, always turning faster than the Midas could. Eventually the Midas would get dizzy, and the Acara would swim off grinning.