good looking live rock

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
does anyone know wat to do to get a lot of color out of your live rock?

mine was i first got it, was full of color and life...now its pale and dead...i was thinking the problem was i didnt use any lighting...im using a LED light on it right now if that doesnt anything...heard there was a product that brings out the colors but does anyone have any experiences?

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
The product you are referring to is "purpleup"
Do you test for calcium? or nitrAtes?
Low calcium, high nitrates are two big things that stop coralline from growing.
Lights also have an effect but low lighting just slows growth...

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Give it time. You are trying to rush things. Good coraline will take more than a month to get going. What you can do is find someone who has a lot in their tank and get some scrapings from them and put these into your tank to seed it. Once it starts growing it grows on everything and you may even curse it when you are cleaning your powerheads etc.....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Purple up is nothing but calcium.......which if not monitored and is in too high a concentration will percipitate out in the tank.....so unless you are testing all these parameters stay away from additives that promise this and that......with your tank just do dilligent water changes....your salt mix will have all the supplemental calcium you will need as you don't have a lot of corals using it up....