goofy looking whiskers on a bushy nose pleco

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well I've never seen my pleco do this. but he has whiskers on the side of his nose he been sticking out alot lately. is he trying to show something like he ready to spawn? or is he trying to show domonance?

Attachments

Nov 19, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
yeah i agree thats a male because i just read the other day males will have more bristles going up the ridge of their nose like the one in that pic.

how old is he? how long is he? i just got mine and cant yet tell if male or female. it hasnt grown any wiskers yet. do you know how long it takes for them to grow wiskers? i havent seemed to be able to find that information anywhere

but sorry i have no idea about your issue. this is my first bristlenose and i have just started doing research on them

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeah they do that, its a posturing move. Could be in the mood for romance, could be showing the other fish how tough he is. He could also be growing new whiskers. As long as he is eating things are good.

They are HUGE eaters! I keep posting this over and over, but make sure you are properly feeding him. He needs sinking protein pellets (I use large cichlid pellets) and zucchini. I alternate for my plecs. The plecs on my list will destroy a large zucchini between the two tanks in just one night!