gorgonian not opening

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
hi all, my gorgonian hasnt opened in forever i know these are tough buggers to keep any suggestions. Im feeding DT's and green water. My LMB seems to pick at it and eat what little algae there is off of it. Should i try to scrub it and get all the algae off (there isnt much) and see if it opens or is it doomed...thanks in advance for your remarks

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well i dunno much about those...but until someone experienced tells ya what to do, i don't think scrubbing would help much..unless you wanna break it.. i know that some gorgonian can be metal-halide shy. Polyps and tissue of the coral can deteriorate if there's algae blocking them. What kind of gorgonian u have ?
Maybe a phosphate remover could help ( phosguard/rowaphos ) .
I don't plan to have gorgonian or acroporas in a near future 'cause some little algaes still appear in my tank...rarely and i have to look very closely to find 'em..but those corals do care about pristine water and quality food.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Doomed.

It's not opening. You don't know what to feed it, and worst of all it has algae growing on it. I can't imagine it coming back.

Some of the photosynthetic gorgs are pretty hardy, but the filter feeders are jsut plain impossible.